Re: [csmith-dev] Floating-point support in csmith

On 14 November 2015 at 01:53, John Regehr <regehr@cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> In general the conflict here is between research software, which tends to
> accumulate a lot of bits and pieces and weirdnesses, and production software
> that we try to keep streamlined and clean.  As an example of the latter, if
> anyone has installed Redis, you've seen what an exceptionally clean piece of
> production-grade open source software looks like: you just download it and
> type "make" and this always works.
>
> Ally and Jacek, I wonder if you could comment a bit on the general
> usefulness of this extension?  Has it been working well for you and is it
> something that a lot of Csmith users would appreciate?

General comment, but relevant: when it comes to issues like this
please try to optimize for package maintainers.   On modern operating
systems it should be a very rare event to download software and type
make.  Installing any piece of software (redis or csmith) ought to be
as simple as `pkg install csmith`.

--
Eitan Adler