Re: [Testbed-admins] Errors booting admin mfs

On 6/4/2010 8:57 AM, Leigh Stoller wrote:
Sorry -- I did leave that question unanswered in my prior
response. My bad.

The contents of pc1:/etc/resolv.conf are the following 2 lines:

search emulab.atcorp.priv
nameserver 192.168.10.3

So, this is pointing the finger at the DNS config on boss; pc1 needs
to be able to resolve itself, and boss is not telling it.

Take a look /etc/named/named.conf. The first section is the part that
is used for queries from your control network. Does the
"match-clients" section look correct (has the right IP space)?

Lbs

Well...there is no /etc/named/named.conf.

"find / -name named.conf" shows 3 candidate files on boss

/usr/testbed/obj/testbed/named/named.conf
/usr/testbed/usersvar/named/etc/namedb/named.conf
/var/named/etc/namedb/named.conf

I'm pretty sure the third one is the one, since all the auto generated zone and reverse zone files appear to live in /var/named/etc/namedb.

I checked the "match-clients" section and, sure enough, my control network wasn't listed so I added it.

With that change pc1 could resolve itself (by name), but it still had the same error booting the admin mfs. I presumed it was the reverse lookup that failed and, sure enough, there was no reverse lookup zone defined for my control net in named.conf. I went back and read the "Setting up named" portion of your install instructions and saw that whoever had done this before didn't get it right (I inherited this project... :) )

I fixed named.conf, added the reverse zone .head file for my control net, ran named_setup and, sure enough, the reverse zone file got written with info for pc1. I can nslookup forward and reverse for pc1 on boss but, much to my surprise, the boot process on pc1 still fails with exactly the same error!

Do I need to deletenode and re-create pc1?

Also, the command set on the admin mfs is pretty limited -- is there a command line tool there that I can use to directly test the reverse lookup from pc1's console? I presume it should work now, but seeing is believing...