Re: [Testbed-admins] Can not bring up the first node for a new Emulab site

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Leigh Stoller <stoller@flux.utah.edu> wrote:
BTW, I downloaded the MFSs from
http://www.emulab.net/downloads/tftpboot-latest.tar.gz.  And also I
mounted the 6.2 freebsd.newnode and looked at the stuff inside. I
found there is code related to 'role' in newclient script, but that
script in 4.7 newnode do not have. Am I looked at the right place?

Well, that is definitely a screwup on our part! Sorry about that, but
I guess no one has tried the 4.7 MFSs in a long time.

So, I think you can grab newclient from your (src) install directory
(or from the 6.2 MFS) and put it on the 4.7 MFS. Lets hope that works.

I tried this method but it doesn't work. newclient from src require some lib which 4.7 MFS doesn't have.
So I think it is better to work with the new MFS,  As you suggested last time, the possible reason why my new
machine can not boot into 'freebsd.newnode' and 'freebsd' MFS could be the driver problem. Could you
help me to figure out what kind of driver problem it is and how to debug this issue?

My target machine 1 is:
   Processor :   Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 3.00GHz
   Memory:       8192MB
   Hard Disk:    ST3500418AS   500GB

My target machine 2 is:
   Processor:    Intel Pentium III 933MHz
   Memory:       512 MB SDRAM
   Hard Disk:     ST380011A       80GB

I also notice that even the freebsd.newnode can not get to the login prompt (both above machines), but they did report themselves to Boss and I can
see a new node there at 'Add Testbed Nodes' web page.

Thanks,
Evan Zhang