Re: [Testbed-admins] query regarding MIB compatibility with the experiment switch

We had the same problem with our Cisco 4006/4506 switches which
didnt have support for the STACK-MIB.  One option is to check
whether newer version of the switch IOS software has support for
those MIBs. If so, you can upgrade the IOS and it should work.  If
not (in our case), we commented out the code in the emulab software
which did the port control.  The only disadvantage is that you
cannot control the port speeds of the switch or NICs and you are
stuck at a certain speed (1Gbps or 100Mbps depending on your
switches/NICs). You will have to manually set the port speeds to the
value from the console.

Utah folks: Maybe there should be some code to check whether
switches support the MIBs and if not it would neuter the port
control code?

What I did instead was to add a configure variable (you would put this
in your defs file) called NOSTACKMIB. I prefer this to silently
ignoring port speed and duplex; better to have to set it explicitly so
you know what you are getting into.

This will turn up in the CVS repo in a day or two.

Lbs