Re: [Testbed-admins] [geni-dev] Virtual Nodes IPs

Well this has been a problem for us since a long time. The way we have our network setup, we end up having the gateway interface for the private net on our router that is visible to the campus network. The campus network uses the 172.16.x.x for our wireless and dorm pc, causing a routing problem for emulab. So For that reason any person using the campus wireless network and computers from dorms cannot access the Emulab webinterface.

We had put in a temporary fix by performing a NAT translation for incoming connection to Emulab from our our campus 172.16.x.x addresses, but we keep running our of addresses to allocate after translation. We needed to fix this and the best solution for us was to use a different IP address range for virtual nodes in Emulab that does not conflict with our Campus 172.16.x.x . It has become all the more important for us now since OpenVZ in protogeni is going to use the same address space ..

cheers,

Hussam
(Hussamuddin Nasir)

Netlab Operations Team

Laboratory for Adv. Networking  Phone  : (859)218-0059
James F Hardymon Building       Fax    : (859)323-3740
301 Rose Street, Rm 202         E-mail : nasir@netlab.uky.edu
Lexington, KY 40506-0495        Web    : http://www.netlab.uky.edu

                        University of Kentucky