Re: [Testbed-admins] Booting error in Customizing the Generic Image

* Cheng Cui <ccui1@tigers.lsu.edu> [091110 17:03]:
> Hello Ryan,
>
> Once again, I tried to re-imageunzip again after I read "Timothy
> Ficarra's email about the imageunzip command issue". Previously, I did
> not use the "\" back slash in my imageunzip command, because I thought
> it was just a line change symbol. But this time, after I added the "\"
> in:
> sudo ssh pc1 imageunzip -s 1 - /dev/$DSK \ <
> /usr/testbed/images/FBSD64-GENERIC.ndz
>
> Then, I could see all the partitions as below:
> # ls -l /dev/sda*
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk       8,   0 Nov 10 16:39 /dev/sda
> brw-r-----    1 root     root       8,   1 Nov 10 16:36 /dev/sda1
> brw-r-----    1 root     root       8,   2 Nov 10 16:36 /dev/sda2
> brw-r-----    1 root     root       8,   3 Nov 10 16:36 /dev/sda3
> brw-r-----    1 root     root       8,   4 Nov 10 16:36 /dev/sda4
> brw-r-----    1 root     root       8,   5 Nov 10 16:36 /dev/sda5
> brw-r-----    1 root     root       8,   6 Nov 10 16:36 /dev/sda6
> brw-r-----    1 root     root       8,   7 Nov 10 16:36 /dev/sda7
> brw-r-----    1 root     root       8,   8 Nov 10 16:36 /dev/sda8
>
> However, I still can't mount mount sda{5,7,8}:
> # mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
> mount: mounting /dev/sda5 on /mnt failed: No such file or directory
> # mount /dev/sda7 /mnt/var
> mount: mounting /dev/sda7 on /mnt/var failed: No such file or directory
> # mount /dev/sda8 /mnt/usr
> mount: mounting /dev/sda8 on /mnt/usr failed: No such file or directory

Sorry for the delay.

This is a known issue with the mount command in the Linux MFS.  If you
want to mount you'll need to specify the filesystem type.  I'm working
on resolving this, but for now just mount an ext2 or ext3 filesystem
with '-t ext2' or '-t ext3'.  UFS filesystems are more of a hassle,
due to the somewhat experimental status of Linux's UFS driver.

To mount a UFS filesystem, try mounting it with the options '-t ufs -o
rw,ufstype=44bsd' first.  If that fails, try
'-t ufs -o rw,ufstype=ufs2'.  You *must* specify the ufstype option
since the driver does not currently autodetect the UFS variant in use.
Also, unless you specify the 'rw' option the filesystem will be
mounted read-only.  This is backward from the default behavior, so
make sure to remember it.

I'll be uploading an updated MFS with a perl script that will run in
the admin MFS which you can use to mount a FreeBSD slice.  Make sure
you've re-scanned the partition table, then do the following:

# /etc/testbed/mount_bsd_slice /dev/sda1 /mnt

If all goes well, you should be back at a prompt with your FreeBSD
system mounted at /mnt (with the /usr and /var partitions mounted at
/mnt/usr and /mnt/var respectively).

I'll let you know once it's available on emulab.net.