Re: [Testbed-admins] Booting error in Customizing the Generic Image

* 'Ryan Jackson' <rdjackso@flux.utah.edu> [091031 23:18]:
> * 'Ryan Jackson' <rdjackso@flux.utah.edu> [091030 17:46]:
> > * Cheng Cui <ccui1@tigers.lsu.edu> [091030 17:13]:
> > > Yes, it works. Now, I can see the grub prompt. Thanks very much.
> > > However, how could I boot the admin MFS and then customize the node
> > > image? It looks this linux based pxeboot a little bit different from the
> > > FreeBSD based one, at least the admin MFS cannot be loaded
> > > automatically.
> >
> > Actually you shouldn't normally see a grub prompt, but you should see
> > some output besides that initial message from Grub.  The fact that
> > you're not implies that something is wrong somewhere.  Once everything
> > is working, the Linux MFS will load automatically.
> >
> > Was the picture you sent earlier of a serial console or some sort of
> > remote-console application?  I'm not sure what kind of machine you're
> > working with, so it would help to know something about it.
>
> Try this:
>
> Move the grub.cfg file back to where it was before, then comment out
> the first three lines of the file (the lines starting with 'terminal'
> and 'serial').  Try booting grub again and tell me if you get any
> output.
>
> If this works, you will also need to change the kernel command lines
> in /tftpboot/frisbee_linux/grub.cfg and
> /tftpboot/admin_linux/grub.cfg.  Delete the part that says
> 'console=ttyS0,115200' to force the output to go to the VGA console.

It seems I forgot a file in the tarball I uploaded last week.  I've
replaced the tarball with a fixed version.  Download
http://www.emulab.net/downloads/linux_boot.tar.gz again and re-extract
the linux_mfs.tar.gz tarball.  One of the grub config files needed to
boot was missing from this tarball, which may explain some of your
problems.