Re: [Testbed-admins] ALL newnode's interfaces added as role='expt'

Thus spake Ben Burnett on Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 11:03:51AM -0400:
>  ok, we had some problems with SNMP on the switches that are fixed and
> helps, but after running the switchmac tool the output shows all the ctrl
> interfaces on both the ctrl and expt switches, but the expt switch has all
> the nodes ctrl interfaces as the port of the crossover cable between the
> switches.   This leads to some questions:   can we just connect boss
> directly to expt instead of using a crossover to ctrl?  should expt uplink
> port be in vlan1? or a different vlan?   We think all the ports on expt are
> in vlan1 by default, thus spilling over to ctrl, different vlans would seam
> to fix this?  does this sound like anything you've seen?   also when we run
> the "search switch ports for selected nodes" button on the web interface it
> doesn't find any ports on the expt switch, and it defaults the ctrl switch
> entries to the first one found with was the spillage results from the uplink
> port (referenced before.)

A simple way to try to work around this problem is to disallow the VLAN
you've put the ports in from the trunk link - and this doesn't have to
be VLAN1.

Once you are actually running experiments, interfaces not in use will
get disabled, so which VLAN they're in for the time being won't make a
difference long-term.

You might also double-check the switch_stacks table and the node_types
table (specifically the control interface) you've built against what the
docs suggest - switchmac is supposed to detect this kind of issue, and
only pay attention to MAC addresses from control net interfaces on the
switch(es) designated as the control network, and similarly for the
experimental network.

--