Re: treat website + Katie update- reply GH on traing for ALL

I found a website with LOADS of recipes for home made treats. It's http://members.home.net/mstraus/treatref.html  Haven't tried any recipes yet, but they look good.  Hope all are doing well and Katie sends her love to her sibs.
Peggy

Hi Peggy and All,

Some great recipes on this site, thanks Peg!  A comment on treats and training, the better the treat the better the result often.  So I do suggest that those wanting exuberant remarkable results use extra yummy treats.  Make up some of the liver bars on the first page and you will be surprised at the response to these.  This is what we use when showing the dogs.  The liver is very stinky and dogs just love stinky... :-)

To the One Litter:

 Now is a time your pup's are probably going to start challenging you for real.  Between 8 to 12 months dogs start to teeth for the last time.  They have two back molars that come at this age, sort of like our wisdom teeth and this is painful.  Often training seems to go out the window and the bad evil puppy comes out, even good woobies appear to b evil and may be punished by the evil puppy.  A soft hand but keeping them busy is in order.  Don't let your guard down now.  Know that pain is hard to work though and oral gratification may be the only ting on "One's" mind... Yup bring back out those crates and use them.  I have the walls to prove that oral gratification is what they are looking for.  Though Ditto has not slept in a crate for months she is yet again, and before she takes out any walls.

If you have the time enrolling in a second [or first if you have not gone already] training class is a good diversion.  But try to take a class that is fun as apposed to a formal jerk and pull  obedience class.  Try to find a class that treat trains and uses less corrections and more praise, who wants to have their neck jerked on when their mouth hurts?  Or a beginning agility class with no jumping and controlled landings, meaning no hard impact on the fronts of your dogs.  Matted floors or soft ground at the base of the equipment.

To the Moon and Spice litters:

Agility is great and your dogs are now of an age where some of their personality is set and life is becoming mundane, find an activity!  Winter is also coming and classes for such are going to fill up fast.  Just walks and playing ball are great but you will be surprised at how the extra stimulation of learning something new can spark up and set in some good confidence.

Gina
God Bless America!