Re: ....Questions.....

Hi Peggy,
Great questions and I have loved reading all the responses.  I stay home with our three kids, Nick and Marie and then Daisy the dog :-)) This is what we did, we bought a baby gate and put that up so she was confined to the family room and kitchen when we were home with her, this really helped for potty training!! We also have a crate and used that a lot during her first couple of months at home. We fed her in it and had her nap in it too. They really sleep a lot at first so a mid-day break would probably be perfect for your new baby.  On leaving her in the back yard .........our neighbors got a Weimeriner (sp?) puppy and put her in their back yard and she dug her way out after they had been gone only an hour. Then they put her in the house and we were outside and saw her head stuck in their mini-blinds. Jason ended up finding a way in their house and freeing her, she could of strangled herself!! Like Gina and Ilene have said, she will not know any different and will be fine. I like the idea of getting up a little earlier to play then it will be easier for you both :-))
I can't wait to see your other questions and I hope this helped a little. She will be fine in her crate, give her something that smells like you, I put one of my flannel shirts in there, and her favorite toys.

Peggy & Kurt wrote:

Hi allI'm needing some assistance.  I've been doing a lot of reading on raising a puppy, and the more I read, the more I realize I don't know.....  My dogs have been well loved but not well behaved.  I'd like to do things different this time, and I keep coming up with questions.  Would love advice from others on this list...My most pressing concern is the fact that my husband and I both work full time(no kids).  I'm looking for someone to come and feed and let the pup out mid-day.  But it's still a long day.  Concerns about house training, length of time in crate, confine to the kitchen.... When she's old enough she'll go to doggie day care twice a week.  We live on an acre and are fencing in an area up by the house.  How old should the pup be before leaving her in fence.  How would this effect house training?  I've got lots more questions, but hopefully if I just do a few at a time no one will get overwhelmed....Thanks!PeggyPS - I LOVE seeing all those baby pictures - thanks