Re: ....Questions.....

Gina Heitz wrote:

> it.  Mean OLD VERY OLD IIene hit the nail on the head pointing out this is
> YOUR problem not the dogs.

With guilt, comes spoiling. People just have to get past the guilt. I
want my puppies in homes that will love them and pamper them, but not
spoil them. With this comes behavior problems. What Gina says is true.
We have both been there. We both had our first dogs, our first mistakes
and learned from them all. Your puppy will not know the difference. If
you only have evenings for quality time, it WILL adjust. Another thought
is to get up an extra hour early to spend quality time with your puppy.
This helps the guilt go away. It also tires him/her out some before you
leave for work.

> Where do you find x-pens?  The best place is at a dog show, the second best
> is a pet store, and sometimes the over all best is a catalog, hard copy or
> on line.  I think IIene noted to me she was shopping for new x-pens and she
> may be able to give some advise on best prices right now.  Mean Old Very
> Mean Very Old IIene????

New England Serum Co. has a great deal RIGHT NOW!! Midwest pens at half
price. I suggest you buy the four foot one, as they can  jump these when
they get big enough. This pen is $49.97 right now and the order number
is ZW12848. There phone number is 800-637-3786. They do have a website,
but I have not checked it to see if this special is on there or not.
Usually the catalog and website have different specials.
http://www.NESerum.com

> opinion:  Just my approach my opinion.  I highly recommend a GOOD doggie
> day care.  For instance the one that Kryten and Ripley go to is a great
> example.  There are no crates at this facility and the dogs do not fight
> and they do play a lot.  Sure they sleep too but that is the "nature of

I do think a puppy kindergarten helps alot of people learn the right way
to train, and helps them learn to not spoil their puppy. These trainers
are experienced dog people that can help you know what your puppy is
capable of knowing. Too often, people think that because their puppy is
a baby, they just cannot understand. WRONG! Your puppy is absorbing and
learning at a very fast rate.   So, they let the puppy do the worst
behaviors, and then wonder why when they are big they cannot control
their dog. In a puppy kindergarten, trainers can spot an over indulgent
owner and help them stop this behavior. This is the only thing I like
about them. I do not feel that a golden should start an obedience course
this young. Again, difference in opinions amongst breeders. I let my
puppies be puppies! How would you like to have no childhood? This is the
best part of our lives! Do you not wish you could be a kid again?
 So what am I saying? What??? I let my puppies be puppies and run out of
control? Yes...to a point. I let them have all the fun they can in life.
But... they are not allowed to not obey! If I say bedtime..it is
bedtime. I said it, and I mean it. If I say "in the crate" I mean "In
the crate" The dog goes into the crate. I said so. I have no guilt about
it. If I say stop begging at the table, the dog will stop begging, or
will be removed to his crate until dinner is over. So, the secret I
guess, is to always follow through with a command. If you say, time to
come in the house, or, to come to you, and the dog disobeys, you go and
get that dog! You gave a command, and the puppy/dog must obey. Never
give a command and then let the dog/puppy not obey it! This is really
the whole secret. Never back down from a command that you give, and
think "well, he is just a puppy, and doesn't understand" He does, and if
you think he doesn't, then you are being fooled by your dog/puppy.

> chimed in on this topic as it is a real concern for a lot of people and
> every ones view has merit..  Even Mean OLD Auntie IIene's...

Gosh, I didn't think I was "that" mean. And I definitely saw that Gina
added an extra "OLD" in one of those paragraphs!!! I want you to all
love and enjoy your puppies. I want them to have the best lives in the
world. But..you have the responsibility to train your puppy to be a good
canine citizen. He will be happier because of it, and so will you. To do
this, you got to be rid of the guilt. Your puppy is so lucky to have you
for an owner. You are a kind and loving person! Right? Remember that!
You are a good person, and you are giving this puppy a great home. He is
going to LOVE you, and you him. (In this case I should be saying "hers")
People will flock to Gina for puppies, cause people will want a dog that
behaves "just like yours" And if Gina doesn't have any, refer them to
me! <GRIN>

                              Ilene