Re: ....Questions.....

Hi Mean Really Mean Really Old Auntie IIene and List,

I have sat back on this one to see what others would come up with to help
Peggy on this subject and will now give my two cents on it.  Remember it's
ok to have a difference of opinion and no one should feel stymied by
anyones difference of opinion.  First what I would do what I did years ago
when I worked out of the home and had puppies [not litters just our own
babies] was to take each day as it comes and feel very guilty every day and
feel like I was missing out.  Final outcome, well I quit my job and look
now! <LOL>  But seriously:

Some days I could get a break in my day and come home, others I simply
could not and some days I could get help and others not.  I relied on my
neighbors to help me out by coming over and letting the puppy out into the
yard for 30 minutes or so mid day and I always came right straight home
from work no delays, no over time ect.  I have never fed more than twice a
day so there was no lunch to be concerned about but maybe a treat such as a
Milkbone for good behavior.  Now days btw, that treat would be a carrot or
some other healthy alternative <grin>.  Kaycee for instance was one of
these dogs, and she spent up to 8 hours in a given day in her crate from 9
weeks to 6 months old in her crate, without harm.  For activity in the
crate often I would give her things to chew on, Nylabone, hard rubber
toys.  It was not ideal but she was not harmed nor was her potty training
ever compromised by such.  She never messed in her crate nor did she suffer
bladder infections or anything else anyone can come up with. <grin>

With other dogs I have left them in blocked off areas of my kitchen for
same periods of time and while I have had to clean up pee and on a very
rare occasion a poop they have as well not been hindered in the potty
training area.  Yet other dogs I left in the garage in a portable kennel
run and again there were some messes but so what, I just cleaned them up
and went on with the day.

The crate method verses the blocked off area seamed to provide the best
safety over all for the puppy.  There was no chewing of the wood work ect
and the puppy noted, Kaycee, is at almost age 12 a very reliable dog.
:-)  But not to say if you can't provide a really safe blocked of area that
it does not work, it does and if that is better for your guilt than go for
it.  Mean OLD VERY OLD IIene hit the nail on the head pointing out this is
YOUR problem not the dogs.  Make a choice to just deal with this and trust
me the dog won't know the difference... With blocked of  area, chances are
there won't be many messes anyway, as dogs do not like to soil their den
and that penned off area will soon become the puppies den.  After about 10
weeks of age most puppies start to get the idea of the closed in space and
just won't soil it, but once let out of that space beware they are going to
go potty.  So I do suggest picking them up and going right out the door.

So how do you accomplish making this safe penned of area?  Buy an exercise
pen, like the ones you have seen in my yard.  Portable fencing so to
speak.  I suggest you by the 36" high pen as the 24" can be scaled with
more ease that the 36".   These pens are 4 ft by 4 ft when made into a
square, and to stabilize  build  a 4 ft by 4 ft frame to hold the pen.  I
first saw this frame at Judy' years ago and man I had George build me one
right away.  He used 2"x 2" lumber and the frame stands about 6" to 8 " off
the ground and keeps the pen from being knocked over or moved around.  I am
happy to show anyone this very fashionable piece of fine furniture anytime...

Where do you find x-pens?  The best place is at a dog show, the second best
is a pet store, and sometimes the over all best is a catalog, hard copy or
on line.  I think IIene noted to me she was shopping for new x-pens and she
may be able to give some advise on best prices right now.  Mean Old Very
Mean Very Old IIene????

Ok how about the garage idea?  Ok guys [men] it's hard I know but can you
not give up a 6 ft by 8 ft space for the puppy in your garage?  Sure you
can, to save the guilt on your poor old significant other and the abuse you
will suffer if you do not? <grin>  There are modular dog runs available at
many places, Home Depot is less expensive than a pet store for
these...  They come in panels that anyone can put together, they just screw
together and provide a nice safe space. This is what I have in my kennel
all those runs are portable and you bet they go with us not the
house...  BTW in the PNW these runs are a great idea for winter dry
offs.  A lot of people will put their dog in the run in the garage after a
romp to dry off on the occasional rainy day we have here.

So there you have it, guilt released...

Now here is my part that goes with the first paragraph on the difference of
opinion:  Just my approach my opinion.  I highly recommend a GOOD doggie
day care.  For instance the one that Kryten and Ripley go to is a great
example.  There are no crates at this facility and the dogs do not fight
and they do play a lot.  Sure they sleep too but that is the "nature of the
beast".  Except Kryten who plays the entire day....  Kryten takes full
advantage of his play mates...  FULL did I say FULL?  Jan and Charles get
their full two dog dollars worth on Kryten alone. <smile>  I know I have
baby sat him, he is a good dog, not troublesome at all but he loves to play
and is always up for a romp.  A good doggie day care will only accept dogs
who can learn to be social and not quarlsome with others.  Simply any dog
who can not get along is not welcome.  A good day care will monitor their
charges as you would expect a human day care provider to do with your human
child.  Simply the rules that apply to human day care are easily
transferred to doggie day cares.  Some even offer training sessions in
addition to the training of the socialization they get from just being
around the other pooches...

  I disagree with one thing though with the day care that Jan and Charles
uses, they state NO crates, well that's a shame in my opinion, I think all
dogs should have a crate available to them and that using crates is a good
thing and a skill that every dog should posses.  What if your dog ever HAS
to BE crated:  the vet over night, flown, ect...  Never say never...

BTW, I do doggie day care here and ya know what my little charges do spend
some time in a crate.  I also do some training too.  I know this is not an
option for most of you as in using me but I do need to defend my rip off
here ok!  Ha Ha Ha IIene, got ya!  Oh and btw, the house I found for you in
Hubbard would be a great facility for you to do doggie day care in and make
a good wage too.  No more out of the house to work, you too could totally
go to the dogs...  Hey all Mean Old VERY MEAN VERY OLD IIene and POD [poor
old Dave] are thinking of moving to OR...

Hope this helps and I would also like to say thanks to all of you who have
chimed in on this topic as it is a real concern for a lot of people and
every ones view has merit..  Even Mean OLD Auntie IIene's...

Gina