Re: something I need from all of YOU

Hi All,
     As a scientist, I applauded Gina's idea to get more data on the dogs
she produces.  We drool over data...  If this type of data was available
for all goldens, it would answer all our questions on the degree of
heritability for these traits, and the effect of environment and diet.   As
it is, Gina is making the best decisions she can on a very limited dataset.
If she increases that data, her decisions and her future pups will benefit.
Now if all breeders did that, then one could pick sires and dames not only
on their genetic pedigree, but also on the pedigree of the dogs they
produced.   Now that would be something.   With the information she is
asking of us, and her longevity work, Gina will be producing the best dogs
possible in terms of health and longevity.  Plus, dog geneticists will love
to get their hands on datasets like Ginas.   It's the only way to truly
understand what is happening with the breed and hopefully make positive
corrections.

Hats off to Gina for trying!
Renee

************
J. Renee Brooks
Western Ecology Division
U.S. EPA/NHEERL
200 SW 35th St.
Corvallis, OR 97333
(541) 754-4684 (Office)
(541) 754-4799 (FAX)
Brooks.ReneeJ@epa.gov

Hi All,

As the numbers of goldens increase I am becoming more alarmed about overall
quality of the breed and health.  I don't place many dogs in show homes
where it's a given that the dogs will be screened for health related issues
such as hip and elbow dysplasia eye problems or heart problems.  While
there has not been cause for alarm with Brier dogs meaning very few dogs we
have produced have presented with outward signs that there is a reason to
look, moving forward I think for the breed going on it's popularity,  it's
time to start asking even the pet homes to start doing some screening.  I
realize that not everyone is going to want to participate in this in hind
sight study I am purposing and I do not intend on applying pressure on any
of you but if I don't ask then what do I gain?  So please read this over
and if you would like to discuss it on the list let's!  If you would prefer
to write me privately please do.

Gina :-)

SNIP...