Re: Something I need from you..

HI Patti,

Curious did you send Diablo's x-rays into OFA?  Does your vet still have them on hand?  I am wondering if we should send them to OFA for evaluation even tough he is almost 2 now.  I don't necessarily think that you need to do final 2 year x-rays on him since the prelims look good.  Goldie however should probably be looked at in Anchorage if you have not had her done.  Curious to who is the vet you use in Anchorage?  Since Deb Mc Fail lives there and is plugged into the breeding community I wonder if it's same vet as she used for Boomer's surgery?  Dr. Mike don't know his last name.   On a vet referral for Kalispell, MT I am on it now sending a note out to the BIG golden list.

Ok guys,

Here is an example:  Patty has done Diablo at age 1 and all looks well, this is good.  In my opinion she does not need to do finals at age 2.  If she chooses to do finals that is great, however the cost of this is again a factor that each of us has to consider.  Here I do these as matter of corse and I don't consider the cost as it's what a breeder does.  I prelim all my dogs for hips and elbows at about 1 year of age and then again close to 2 but not before age 2.  You might ask why do I do prelims?  Well because it's my hopes and dreams to breed each puppy we bring into the program and if at age one things don't look good I can make decisions based on this information.  For instance when we checked our Visa a few years ago for heart she was not clear she has mild SAS and this removed her from the breeding program.  Visa was placed with Fran who has been on this list, don't think she's out there now???   Visa is fine doing great will be 5 September 27th and has a wonderful life here she would be one of the many and that was not going to work for Visa, she is a very demanding dog, just like her mother Kaycee...

Anyway, waiting till age 2 is fine for you all or doing Penn Hip at alter time is a good idea too.  The cost needs to be weighed though.  I can tell you that at Aloha right now what I pay for 1 dog is $160.00 for hips and elbows, and to OFA I pay $35.00 for their evaluation.  There is also a study being done under the name of GDC out of California UC Davis Vet school and we might even opt to use this program for hips and elbows?  They charge $10.00 to read the x-rays and provide a report.  Let me talk further with Doug on all of this and get back to you all, see what sort of a package deal he can offer us.