Re: Digest for goldens ?

At 06:11 PM 2/18/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi again,
>I ended up going to Brier's home page and  saw the links posted on
>feeding the RAW food. I think it answered most of my questions. I have a
>lot of thinking to do for a few days before we bring Daisy home.
>Thanks for listening....
>Patty.
Hi Patty,

Glad you got to the links and did some reading.  Need to get Give Your Dog
a Bone...  Does anyone on this list have a copy they are willing to
resell?  If so I bet Patty would buy it.  I guess I am going to need to
order a couple of them to have for "loaning out". :-)  My copy came back in
on Saturday and back out today on loan.  Normal cost for this book is about
$28.00

So Patty, I got you with my good old fashioned guilt trip eh?  Ok, this is
really simple, you will be slightly handicapped till you get the book and
get it digested (read).

Natures Market has turkey necks and chicken backs in stock most of the
time,so in the in term this is a good place to shop. IGA stores will order
cases of necks and backs for you but you need to have a freezer to deal
with this as these cases are 30# of meat.  Defrost and repackage and re
freeze is no problem.  Just soak in COLD water till you can pull apart and
repackage and re freeze.  Package in 2 day supplies.

Here is your shopping list: A few pounds of each meat and just small bits
of veggies.

Turkey necks

Chicken backs

Chicken wings

plain low fat yogurt (not non fat)

full fat cottage cheese

eggs

  fresh carrots, parsley, kale, spinach

canned pumpkin, or sweet potatoes or both

bananas, apples, pears, just no citrus fruits.

(we will get into supplements later)

The diet is going to consist of about 80% RMB's = turkey necks, chicken
backs, wings.

A T-neck usually weighs about 3/4 of a pound and is a full meal for a 8
week old puppy.

Day 1:

AM:  Soak 1 T-neck in hot water till warm.  Throw puppy and neck into crate
and go away.  Return 20 minutes later, food is gone.  You may need to beat
the neck a bit with a meat cleaver at first to expose the marrow and just
make it easier for Daisy.

Mid day:  1 tablespoon of  either cottage cheese or Yogurt, and pureed
apple or carrot or greens.

PM: 1 chicken back or two wings.

You only need a small amount of veggie/fruit daily max two
tablespoons.  Mix them up, some days do pumpkin, others do greens
ect...  Or you can make mixes up by throwing veggies/fruits into your
processor and add whole eggs shell and all to keep the works going smoothly
and package up and freeze. Keep the greens in a higher proportion than the
root veggies.

Day 2:

AM: RMB's either a T neck or chicken back or wings.

Mid day: 1 raw egg blended with either yogurt or cottage cheese and
veggies. I do this in a blender so the egg gets really crushed up.

PM: RMB's

Day 3:

AM: RMB's

Mid day: 2 ounces of liver & veggies, fruit.

PM: RMB's

Just keep recycling this pattern and mixing it up and you got it for now...

Suppliments: Most I buy at Costco unless noted below

  V-B 50 3 times a week

   V-C 500 Mg daily

  V-E 400Iu 3 times a week

Fish Oil Caps 1 cap 3 times a week

Alfalfa tabs 1 to 3 times a week, buy at Health Food Store (HFS)

Kelp bulk or tabs 1 to 3 times a week, (HFS)

Flax seeds (you can grind in coffee grinder to like flour use two
tablespoons 2 x week) HFS or Fred Meyer bulk department  Or Flax oil 1
teaspoon 2 x week (HFS)

I mix my suppliments in to the veggie yogurt mix.  On the pills, C, B-50, I
grind them in my coffee grinder.  the E and Fish iol if they will eat the
gel caps then fine if not just bite off the end and squish it into the mix.