from Auntie Ellen on stuff! *IMPT*

At 11:36 AM 2/18/01 -0800, you wrote:
I am brining in Ellen here for a talk about parasites: Ellen, please tell the group about all the dogs that have come into your clinic that were suspect of having IBD (inflammatory bowel disorder) that actually have had parasites... Also Ellen please share about your experience of just switching over your dogs to raw and your up and coming way exciting litter due when??? Ok so it's "our " litter...
First off, the parasites.
Parasites in puppies are very common, especially roundworms, if any of you are interested in the specific life cycles and why they are so common in puppies, please contact me and I will go over them with you. But essentially, if the mother of the puppies has ever been in contact with roundworms (and some others) she will pass them on to her puppies. Roundworms have adapted themselves to lie dormant in adult dogs until pregnancy, which will reactivate them and thus be passed on to the babies.
Gina does a great job of keeping up with the parasites while the puppies are being raised at her house, but it is essential that worming protocols be continued for at least a couple of months after they go to their new homes. A lot of veterinarians only worm them twice more, and in reality, they should be wormed every 2 weeks until they are at least 16 weeks of age, longer if you have a parasite problem in your environment. It's important to keep worming them even if you have a negative fecal exams. Fecal exams are good, but they aren't 100%, and again, a lot of vets don't de-worm unless there is a reason to do it. Sometimes this is because it's what they do, and sometimes it is because the client doesn't want to spend the money.
If parasites such as roundworms or whipworms go untreated, they can cause any number of problems later on that can be difficult to pinpoint as being a worm problem. Intermittent diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, poor skin coat, general unthiftiness, just to name a few, which also happen to be the symptoms of IBD. A couple of our vets have learned the hard way that the best thing to do in these cases, before anything else, is a thorough de-worming protocol. One dog, whose fecals were negative ( a common thing with whipworms) was diagnosed with whipworms via endoscopy, an expensive and invasive way to diagnose a parasite problem! If the dog had been dewormed first, it would have saved the client a lot of heartache and money. Another was diagnosed with roundworms via a blood panel. The dog had been not doing well and they took blood, the only thing out of whack on the panel was the eosinophil count (a type of white blood cell). When the eosinophil count is high, you suspect parasites or an allergic response. Again, another expensive way to diagnose parasites. Remember folks, vets are human and they do miss things sometimes!
However, if your dog isn't doing well, you should, by all means, suggest de-worming to your vet if he/she doesn't, but don't entirely disregard their advice either, they may be seeing/suspecting something you don't..but it is certainly okay to question why they want to do whatever they have planned. Ask for explanations! A good vet will be happy to explain it all to you.
As for switching over to a RAW diet. It was a little tough going at first, I was giving them some RMB's and patty mix. My kids all got diarrhea...BAD! Then after consulting with Gina, I switched them to mainly RMB's with a tiny amount of pumpkin and spinach. Worked great, cleared the icky poops up almost immediately and allowed Gina to live a little longer...just kidding, I'm thankful to Gina for helping me, but boy, was I unhappy with all the diarrhea!!! Now they can eat almost anything without any problems, however I have noticed that if I give them something new, their stools will be a little softer the next day, not a problem stool, just a little softer than normal. Reminds me to add new things *slowly* and in *small* amounts. I've had a little bit of problem with weight loss, but adding more RMB's seems to be getting the two who lost a little back to normal. I really believe that my dogs have been so starved for these nutrients that they need more to make up for all the lost years. I've also heard from several sources that dogs need more food than you think in the first little while, but after awhile, they settle in to the diet and need a little less.
I've very excited about my upcoming Harrier litter. It will be my (okay our, Gina!) first litter and is due in about 8 weeks. Can't wait to have baby Harriers! You all think your golden puppies are cute, but there ain't nothing cuter than a Harrier puppy!
I'm not on the list, so I won't see replies to this unless you send them directly to me!
Ellen

Ellen Parr, CVT
harriers@oregonsbest.com
www.oregonsbest.com/~harriers