Re: [Testbed-admins] NetFPGA Instructions

David M. Johnson wrote:
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 05:49:18PM -0500, David A. Kotz wrote:
I've entered all of my NetFPGAs and their interfaces, and the NetFPGAs show up in the Node Control Center as free but in an unallocatable state.

It looks like I still have (at least) two things to do -- make them allocatable and associate their ports with switch ports. I poked around in the database, but I couldn't see why they're not allocatable.

I poked around myself, and a bunch of the entries for at least netfpga3 in the
nodes table were NULL, including some significant ones.  I think I fixed up
netfpga3 by doing the following query (you'll want to repeat for the rest)
*and* adding an entry into node_status for it (i.e., "insert into node_status values ('netfpga3','up',NULL)"):

update nodes set inception=now(),def_boot_path='',def_boot_cmd_line='',next_boot_path='',pxe_boot_path='',rpms='',deltas='',tarballs='',startupcmd='',startstatus='none',bootstatus='unknown',status='',status_timestamp='',failureaction='fatal',eventstate='ISUP',state_timestamp=now(),op_mode='MINIMAL',op_mode_timestamp=now(),allocstate='FREE_DIRTY',allocstate_timestamp=now(),next_op_mode='',ipodhash='',osid=181 where node_id='netfpga3';

I'm not sure how these fields got to be the way they are (perhaps you used the
defaults?)... but you need more than one of them (not sure of the complete set)
set to not NULL to even be able to use sched_reserve/nfree to get them in an
allocable state.  Sorry if that wasn't clear...

- dave

david

I've entered the missing data, and now I can attempt to allocate NetFPGAs, but I'm not quite there yet:

--------- testnetfpga.ns --------
#generated by Netbuild 1.03
set ns [new Simulator]
source tb_compat.tcl

set node24 [$ns node]
tb-set-hardware $node24 netfpga

$ns rtproto Static
$ns run
#netbuild-generated ns file ends.

produces

--------- /usr/testbed/expwork/emulab-ops/testnetfpga/startexp.FWH38q --------
Running 'tbprerun  -e 482 testnetfpga.ns'
Beginning pre run for emulab-ops/testnetfpga. 08:57:30:327738
Running parser ... 08:57:31:148376
Parser done! 08:57:35:527498
Precomputing visualization ...
Image rendering proceeding in background mode ...
Setting up static routes (if requested) ...
*** WARNING: staticroutes:
***   No links or lans in experiment emulab-ops/testnetfpga!
Generating topomap ...
Verifying parse ...
*** ERROR: verify-ns:
***   Topology verification failed ('h node24'!='h host-node24')!