[Testbed-admins] [dkotz@cs.utexas.edu: NetFPGA in our testbed?]

We recently had a discussion on the testbed-ops list about getting
NetFPGAs running in another Emulab instance. I've excerpted what I think
are the most generally-relevant messages below for the benefit of
others...

--
/-----------------------------------------------------------
| Robert P Ricci <ricci@cs.utah.edu> | <ricci@flux.utah.edu>
| Research Associate, University of Utah Flux Group
| www.flux.utah.edu | www.emulab.net
\-----------------------------------------------------------
--- Begin Message --- I did some searching, and it looked like the docs online were how to allocate NetFPGAs in the Utah emulab. I have a new researcher who wants to add some nodes to our testbed with NetFPGAs either in addition to, or preferably, in place of the NICs for the experimental network. Is that going to be scary and/or improbable? We'd probably buy Dell r200s, assuming the cards fit in them.

- dave

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 11:30:37AM -0600, David A. Kotz wrote:
> I did some searching, and it looked like the docs online were how to
> allocate NetFPGAs in the Utah emulab.  I have a new researcher who wants

Yes, the docs are for Utah -- we're the only emulab with netfpgas as of yet,
far as I know.  The support for them is not Utah-specific.

> to add some nodes to our testbed with NetFPGAs either in addition to, or
> preferably, in place of the NICs for the experimental network.  Is that
> going to be scary and/or improbable?  We'd probably buy Dell r200s,
> assuming the cards fit in them.

You need to make sure to buy the stanford-recommended PC to host
them... otherwise you are likely to run into weird hardware problems that may
be unsolvable.  This is still the Dell 2950 line, I believe, but you'll want to
check.  Also, you can only connect them to Gb switch ports last I knew, since
the default software MAC gateware supported only Gb ethernet, I believe.  The
PHYs should be 10/100/1000.

> - dave

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 12:06:44PM -0600, David A. Kotz wrote:
> How difficult is the emulab part of it?  Is it tough to get the MFS to
> work with it?  Any other gotchas?

The netfpga is just an add-in PCI card to a regular PC, so as long as the MFS
can boot on that regular PC, there should be no trouble -- the MFS doesn't do
anything to the netfpga.

There should be no gotchas; just let us know when you plan to add them and I'll
help you get them into your DB appropriately.  You'll probably want to grab our
FC6-NETFPGA image and customize it for your site at that time.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---