Re: [Testbed-admins] Problem configuring Cisco switch

Thus spake Manuel Requena on Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 12:59:11PM +0200:
> I'm installing Emulab software in our testbed. Now, I'm installing some
> nodes and testing simple topologies.

Great! Would you mind if we include you in our "other emulab" list?

    https://users.emulab.net/trac/emulab/wiki/OtherEmulabs

> I'm trying to create a simple topology with 2 nodes and 1 Lan. If I
> configured the Lan with a speed different to the real speed of the Ethernet
> cards I get an error when the switch is configured:
>
> Setting 1.21 to full...*** WARNING: snmpit:
> ***   SNMP SET failed - In /usr/testbed/bin/snmpit
> ***   SNMPIT set failed for device cisco6513 (try 10 of 10)
> ***   Variable was [portDuplex,1.21,2,INTEGER]
> ***   Returned (undefined), ErrorNum was 12
> ***   Error string is: inconsistentValue
>
> We have a Cisco C6513 with GE modules. There is no error if the Lan speed is
> 1Gbps, i.e. Vlans are created in the switch and everything seems to be OK,
> but not for other topologies/speeds.
>
> What is configured differently in the switch? I thought speed was configured
> in a 3rd delay node. What else is configured in the switch? I have tried to
> configured tables (interface_types, interface_capabilities, nodes,...) in
> the DB according to "Initial Switch Setup".

If you put any 'ethernet_auxspeeds' entries in your
interface_capabilities table (eg. if you said that this interface is
capable of 100Mbps as well as 1Gbps), if you ask for a link speed less
than 100Mbps, we'll set the port to 100Mbs (so if you asked for a
100Mbps link with no delays, you would not get a delay node.) However,
it looks like your switch ports might not support 100Mbps? We do have
a few older modules here that are gigabit-only. If this is the case,
removing that ethernet_auxspeeds entry will prevent us from trying to
run the port at any speed other than 1Gbps.

--