Re: [Testbed-admins] need advice regarding "SNMP GET failed"

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:58:43 -0500
"Cheng Cui" <ccui1@tigers.lsu.edu> wrote:

> The community string in Control switch is 'vlan1', and in Experiment
> switch is 'vlan2'. But don't be confused, we just want to diff them
> from our cisco1 and cisco2 accordingly. Other are mentioned in
> Mohammed's previous email. One thing I want to say is that the cisco2
> seems to be customized for something which I am not sure, because it
> is borrowed and everything works fine before this problem.

The failure seems to be in getting the basic information out of the
switch.  This is very, very similar to the command (run from boss, not
users):

	boss% snmpget cisco4 vlan2 system.sysDescr.0

The idea is to make a very basic SNMP query of the switch, to make sure
that it's all set up correctly.  Once you can get that to work, you
should be able to get further along in the configuration.  ('vlan2', of
course, is the community string in that command, so obviously you ought
to change that if you change the community string).

> Please help us if there is something wrong in our design or any
> configuration. Thanks a lot.

Taking a quick look, I wonder if you don't want to have identical read
and write community strings on your control switch -- I don't see
an obvious place to enter separate community strings into the
switch_stack_type database, but it's been awhile since I've set up a
system from scratch, so maybe I'm missing something.

My apologizes for a half-assed answer, but it's Saturday morning and I
have to get my day started.  Y'all sounded like you might prefer a
quick answer now to a fully-cooked one on Monday. :-)

Good luck,

Kevin
lahey@isi.edu