Re: [Testbed-admins] tipserv install question

We've been setting up a 90 node emulab with tipserv support.  We
have RocketPort Express console lines connected to all of our nodes.
We've rebuilt the kernel and the installation has created 128 nodes
for cuaRPI*, cuaRPI*.init, cuaRPI*.lock, ttyRPI*, ttyRPI*.init,
ttyRPI*.lock, and ctrlRPI0.  I've been assuming that cuaRPI* are the
devices to be added to the rc.d/capture.sh and /etc/remote files.
Is that correct?

Yes, I believe so.

Also, can someone explain, first, what software is installed on
tips?  There is some instruction that console is on ops and should
be copied off.  But console is a script that relies on several
others.  Should I be copying a full subdirectory somewhere?

The instructions on the wiki page needs some work. Assuming you have
the emulab-ops packages installed, you should drag over the Emulab
source tree and your defs file. Configure your tree like you did on
ops. Then run the tipserv-install target.

You also need to copy
boss:/usr/testbed/etc/emulab.pem,client.pem,capture.pem
over to your tipserv machine.

Second, how does boss interact with tips?  Does tips provide access
from boss to the serial lines?  Can we invoke console from boss?

console is typically invoked from ops. I am a little surprised, but at
some point we lost the ability to talk to the capture servers from
boss. Either that, or I have just plain forgot (strong possibility).

capture and console talk to each other via ssl. This is how you can
access the serial line from anyplace.

Lbs