Re: [csmith-dev] int8_t usage

On 08/09/11 18:35, John Regehr wrote:
> Hi Paulo,
>
> Out of curiosity, what size is a char on your architecture?

That would be 16 bit. :) I know, it's a pretty wierd arch!

> Csmith has no particular requirement about int8_t that I can think of.
> In fact I expect that you could probably hack a header file to typedef
> it to be something totally different.
>
> As a longer-term solution I believe we should eliminate the use of
> fixed-width types in Csmith output. These served a purpose at one point,
> but (as far as I know) no longer do.

I would actually have expected that CSmith uses fixed-width types for portability. So that it can test bits of specific variables knowing that they do exist. If you move to size-dependent types some operations won't be available to CSmith without risking further problems.

--
PMatos

More information can be found at www.csr.com. Follow CSR on Twitter at http://twitter.com/CSR_PLC and read our blog at www.csr.com/blog