Re: swab kits & additional notes GH

At 08:26 AM 10/28/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Gina,
>We recieved our kits and I had a question, do we do all six swabs at
>once (in a row) or do one a day? I would like to get started right away
>to get them in the mail asap! Thanks so much for doing this, what a
>service.

Hi Patty & Karin who wrote me privately about the swab kits.

Here is what we did:

1. As noted in the instructions wash hands, between dogs, and don't swab
the dog right after feeding them, I did ours in the AM before   feeding.

2. With each swab you need to fill out the info requested on the package
the swab is in, I did this before opening each swab all 6.

3. Then I opened each swab and pulled the end out enough so I could get
ahold of the swab, being careful to not touch the brush of the swab and
adding my DNA, and put them all in a line.  As I did each swab I set them
aside so I knew I was done with that one.

4. Yes you do the swabs all at the same time.  What worked best for us was
to have George hold the dog between his legs and rub ears while I placed
the swabs between the top cheek and applied a bit of pressure and twirled
the swab and rubbed it back and forth as the goal is to get skin sells not
just saliva.

5. Tape the ends of each swab closed and rubber band them back together
with the rubber band supplied.

6. Fill out the form, yes the registration number is the AKC #

7. make a copy of your pedigree and enclose it, or if you don't have access
to a copy machine you can make a note that says, this puppy (give call
name) is a sibling to Ditto for Daisy or for Milka this puppy is a sibling
to Reo. I sent pedigrees in.  I also sent Cheryl a comprehensive list so
she should be able to match up who is who as long as you provide your name
and the dogs call name or she can get with me if she gets confused.

8. Medical information, this only pertains to those dogs who have been
screened a copy of the eye doc's report is what this refers to.  For
instance Ditto was screened so I sent a copy of her eye report.  Reo was
not (too young)  so there was nothing to send.

Hope this helps everyone down the road as I anticipate that as the dust
settles other litters will be called upon

                                                                        &
**********************  &

Karin also made a note to me that Milka does not like to be brushed and
would prefer to bite at the hair brush.  This is normal puppy stuff and a
display of dominance a test of the battle of wits.  Similar to the issues
with Lucy who was growling at Libby and family when asked to get off the
couch.  Do Not Ask, Tell!  If you do not take the upper hand over all of
these issues as trifle as they may seem you are letting the puppy win and
that is not good.  My suggestion is a good scruff shake.  This is not a
harsh correction, just a gab and a hold,  in human terms a very begin
action but to a dog a wake me up.

I know you all want to treat your dogs with respect and for them to grow up
and be model citizens and the keys to this are to be firm and
consistent.  Here is the thing, some of these puppies are not being
respectful.  Dogs always have to learn and know in their head that when
push comes to shove it goes MY Way period there is no negotiation.  Dogs
need direction, not un similar to human children, however dogs can not be
reasoned with in the same manners as humans.  Dogs need black and white and
do not deal well with anything less.  Do not compromise , you can
not.  These are all simple issues right now and I am glad that all of you
who are having issues are recognizing issues and asking for help.  Good Job!

In closing, this list is set up for and for those that have already gone
though this and do not have a comment the delete key is always available. :-))

Best,

Gina