Re: Two Trick Pony (Sophie's CD -NOT)

At 01:49 PM 7/23/01 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a question - what is "proofing"??
>Thanks
>Peggy

Proofing: making sure the dog KNOWS what he/she is suppose to do after you
know you taught the dog.  In formal obedience work when you are going to
compete in trials [pay entry fees] you want to make sure the dog knows, so
you don't blow your entry fees...  So you practice and you practice and you
proof by setting the dog up for failure and hope they don't break.

Long sits: the dog must sit without moving or disturbing other participants
off leash with the ring distance between the dog and the handler for 3
minutes.  No laying down, no sniffing, no getting up.  3minutes is a very
long time to "sit still" try it some time. :-)  It's not uncommon for dogs
to know what they are suppose to do but just simply don't.  Distractions
are in abundance at dog shows, and obedience trails are often right in the
middle of the whole ball of wax.

I think what blew Sophie's sit at this trial was Deb's trainer and
friend  Deb Roth was also in the ring with her dog and Deb Roth moved her
foot, Sophie just went brain dead and stood up.  Oh the stories one can tell:

My Hobby at his second trial left the ring on the long down, he saw a dog
he knew and went to go play.... So we had to proof that one by getting
together with that dog and handler and practicing long sits and downs while
that dog and handler tossed a ball, ate food,  ran past him, saying words
like let's go, come one, wanna cookie?  All the time I hung on for dear
life... <smile>  We made it through everything including the long sit but
blowing the long down by leaving the ring was an automatic
disqualification.  Breaking sit's or downs is 30 points off and one break
is all it takes to lower the score enough to call it a day.

Gina