Renee's post on stuff - reply GH

Hi Everyone,

Renee,

Thank you so much for both of your most recent posts.  Your first post
makes me blush, but was very well written and received here with a true
BRAVO for you too!!!  On Torrey:  Yes everyone I have known about Torreys
hips for a while, Renee and Leigh informed me, as you all know Judy and I
rescued Torrey in November of 1999.  Torrey is from a back yard breeder in
Portland and his parents were probably not cleared for HD we have no info
on these dogs.  But as Renee points out and as I have over and over, HD is
something that can happen to the best of a program.  Also this is a good
example of we each make our own choices given each case on how to proceed
with treatment.  I am sure that Leigh and Renee would do surgery for Torrey
if their vet felt that medical management was not going to work and down
the road they may be faced with needing to do more than management.  But at
this time for Torrey management is working and does for a lot of
dogs.  Torrey was already past the age that a TPO could have been done when
his disease was diagnosed.  Torrey will be 3 in August, he and SeaJay are
very close in age.

  I have to admit I do not know much about HD myself, I have had very
limited exposure to it and can only go on what I have been told by others
and in a nut shell that is this: Mild HD can go undetected for the life for
the life of a dog, or at least until much later in life.  Dogs with
borderline or mild diagnosis need to be kept lean and well
exercised.  Keeping them lean and in tip top condition builds the mussels
up and helps the dog compensate for the lack of working parts.  HD in mild
form is very manageable and often surgery is not the definitive
answer.  Again case by case, dog by dog, family by family.

In the past couple of months we have now seen both sides of the coin:  With
Boomer Deb chose to do surgery, Though Boomer did not exhibit any signs
that there was an issue.  Boomer is very young and has no arthritic
changes, Deb and her vet have opted to do surgery to prevent an unknown,
but the probable.  Dog's with HD can suffer at a later age from the
arthritic changes.

Torrey was much older when he was diagnosed and arthritic changes have
already begun to set in, but though medicine these changes can be minimized
and compensated for.  Torrey is also a very sensitive dog and his pain
tolerance may be on the low side, meaning mild pain for Torrey may be more
bothersome, not more pain but simply he reacts more.

Each dog is diffrent in how they handle pain as are each of us.  I can
personally tell you that I suffer daily with scar tissue from torn mussels
and  arthritic changes in my spine both from injury and surgery, but I just
move through it and go on.  At this point in time my condition is being
medically managed as surgery did help but with spinal injuries there is
little one can expect as far as total pain management via surgery.  I take
some of the very same drugs that Torrey takes!

A third dog to note to you is my friend Diane Novotany's dog Pumpkin,
Pumpkin will be 15 in October.  Pumpkin had received an OFA good rating on
her hips at age 4.  But now at 14 she is suffering pain and
lameness.  Current x-rays have shown arthritic changes in Pumpkins
hips.  She was so lame that she could not get up on her own.  She went
through a series of shots called Adiquan, <sp> which is a no steroid drug
and equates to being similar to Glucosamine and Condrotin the drugs Torrey
and I take. These products that I call drugs really are not drugs, they
have no side affects and are actually supplements.  They aid the cartilage
in recovery and actually can repair mild damage to this soft tissue.  After
the series of shots and now daily use of Move Free product from Costco,
which is  Glucosamine and Condrotin, Pumpkin is back up and running and
appears to be pain free.  Go Pumpkin!

So what does all this mean?  Never say never, take each day as it comes,
and look to what ever alternatives work, case by case.  But it also means
this:

Information is very important, screening of dogs is very important and can
help not only breeders but each dog.  Keeping your dog fit and being aware
is also very important. Don't over feed, don't let them be couch
potatoes!  I can tell you the Moon litter for the most part will demand to
be exercised and will keep themselves more fit naturally.  On the other
hand, Jester, Cayenne, Ruby Rose and the One litter are more laid back and
may require more effort on your part to get them out and keeping them fit.
This brings this to mind to:

As you all know I am urging everyone to look at not only hips but
elbows.  But it's very important that when you do your dog be fit.  An
obese dog should not be screened, as obesity can affect the outcome of the
x-rays and mimic problems.   So if any of you are thinking your dog might
have an extra roll please take measures to reduce food intake and up the
exercise before even thinking about doing screening.  Screening out of
shape dogs is not fair to the process of study...  I am sure from a
scientific point Renee will agree here?  Meaning the samples that one put's
into a study must be of the best quality to get the truest results.  If
anyone is concerned about fitness please let me know, I am more than happy
to give you my honest opinion, just bring on the dogs...  But know this, I
will not tell you your dog is ok if he/she is not.  Put on your tough skin
as grandma hold no bars on fat dogs and in no uncertain terms will I
condone excuses...

As a breeder though who does see a lot of her dogs, I feel very fortunate
to have such a great group, all of you who do for the most part to my
knowledge keep your dog's in good condition.  I don't think there is anyone
on this list that I have had to give my real fat dog lecture to.  Sure I
have noted to a few here and there their dog has a bit of slop, but nothing
that is out of control.  Often when talking with other breeders and seeing
dogs coming in for grooming I see obese  unfit dogs and the problems that
are ALWAYS associated with such which are many, skin problems, heart
problems, orthopedic problems. You can not cause HD by over feeding and
under exercising but you certainly can aid in the destruction of the body
over all with it...

So with all of this said, nothing is absolute in life and while we all try
to do our level best sometimes things are simply out of our
control.  However keeping ourselves educated and being aware is a huge aid.

Bet to you all!

Gina