Re: Flea protection& Come

Hi Joyce and All,

On Cap Star:  Joyce wrote: >> for example, when you take the
dog to a park and know that there are fleas there, you just give a pill when
you leave.  <<

I think I like the sound of this new product too, but I really want to find out more about health implications before I endorse this.

Joyce: >> By the way, what shampoo do you suggest. <<

Ah I got her!!!  Joyce read your puppy book! <smile>  What I recommend is just about any dog shampoo, that you like how it leaves the coat.  Every coat is diffrent, in my shop I use "professional" products that are not easily found in pet stores, but if you shop pet stores usually just about anything they have is good.  I do not recommend using baby shampoo though many vets will.  I have found baby shampoo to be drying to the skin of dogs.  Some brands I have seen are: Biogroom, Nova Pearls, Avoderm, Mr. Crystals, these should all be fine.  I also do not recommend Flea shampoos that have chemicals in them.  As you all know I don't like chemicals at all...

Gina - one other question...what suggestions do you have when the dog wants
to "take off".  Abbey doesn't do this alot - in fact most times she'll just
sniff around when she is out front off of a leash (i.e. when the boys leave
the door open...)  but today for example the kids were out front and she took
off to the neighbors.  We are still early into the puppy classes and they
haven't addressed the "come" command.  It works with her at times, but like
today, you could tell she wanted to explore.

My first suggestion is to make a concerted effort at not allowing her off leash in the front yard where there is less control if she is not coming.  Too many distractions to contend with, and dogs learn to become immune to: come come come Abbey come Abbey come.   Second suggestion is food.  Always give her a treat when she comes, keep a few small pieces of food in your pocket at all times and make a game of it.   Ditto has as well started to "tell us of" and the food routine has seamed to be the best ticket.  If you don't have food pick up anything in reach and crouch down call her in a happy tone and wave what ever it is you have, even if this is just a handful of grass, when she comes praise her and make a game of keep away with what you have in your hand but do let her win.  Never reprimand a puppy who comes to you.  It's very important they associate their name with only pleasant things love pets and affection. Oh btw Joyce this to is covered in your Go Home Book! :-)))

Gina :-)