ECHO ECho echo

Hi all,

Like the other One Litter pups, Brier's One One One, aka Echo, is settling in without many problems.  Here's an update followed by a few questions.

Saturday and Sunday she was On On On.  The kids just couldn't get enough of her, plus Grandma and Grandpa had to come over and meet her.  She slept okay in the crate, a few whimpers now and then but not bad.  Monday the kids and Silvia were at work so it was MUCH quieter around here and Echo did a lot more napping.  She is eating great.  Likes carrots a lot.  Had a few bites of apple yesterday too.  As far as toys go she likes her tennis ball best.  She will chase it down, pounce on it, then bring it back for more.  It's funny cause it's way too big for her but she picks it up anyway and manages.  Potty Training?  Had quite a few accidents Sunday till we figured out her moves prior to letting loose.  Monday was good with only one mess up cause no one was watching.  Tuesday was 100%.  No scratching at the door yet, but I'm sure she'll figure it out.

Couple questions for all you veterans out there:

1. Biting.  During play time invariably Echo will fixate on the hands and nip nip nip.  As I understand the thing to do is tell her no and give her something she is allowed to chew.  That's fine, except she really prefers the hands, if you know what I mean.  Also, I'm worried about ALWAYS saying No.  Seems like there are a lot of No's when the biting gets started.  Is there something else we should be doing at this early stage to deter the nipping?

2. Crate Time - How Much is Enough?  Echo stays in her crate all night of course.  During the day we feed her in the crate and sometimes put her in when she is going to nap.  She doesn't complain much, but she obviously prefers to sleep out of the crate.  Obviously if I need her to be "out of my hair" for a while to get some specific work done, or if I have to run out on an errand, she goes in the crate.  My real question is, if she is not asleep, should I go ahead and leave her in the crate for a while during the day, so that when I have to leave her longer she will be used to it?

Thanks everyone,

ACE

The Asson Family
Steve, Silvia, Danielle, Kaitlin & Echo