Admin NT- List Archive-guidelines

Hi All,

I have gone to the archives for the first time as my Brier pup in box serves as an archive of sorts too since I hardly ever delete things.  Now I know I can clean out that box which is a good thing...

 However the archives are hard to follow since we all post often off topic stuff without changing the title of the message, just using the incoming message as a vehicle to the list.  I am going to make a few suggestions here and Ace (when he has time) is going to give us some further direction on how to keep things in order so when we all go to the archives to do a search on a topic we can find what we are looking for quickly.  Leigh is also going to set the archives up by years, which will help.  We are growing with growth comes pain <smile>

So here are some guidelines we should all try to follow for now till Ace and Leigh have a chance to review this and advise us accordingly.

1.  In your address book make a listing for the Brier Pup's List Group:  the address is brierpups@fast.cs.utah.edu  so you can post to the list with out using an existing post as a vehicle.  This will keep topics at hand separate if your posting off topic.

2. When posting a new topic please give the message a title Ie: Potty training

3.The use of NT:  NT stands for New Topic. With list communication we often go off on tangents but at some point even though related topics go away and should be labeled a new topic.  For instance my last post was on biting and as you see if you read what I wrote I also covered counter surfing in that post.  So I should have done this:  changed the title to: Biting NT Counter surfing.

4. The use of OT: OT stands for Off Topic.  Off topic discussion is great not a problem, we are her to have fun as well as learn but at the same time remember every word you write is saved to the archives and if some one goes to search the archives for info on a topic they don't want to go to biting and read about a fun day you had in the park with a dog who didn't bite you. <smile>  So share the stories just add OT in the subject line of the post if it's not informational.

5. Re posting messages.  To keep down the volume of what goes into the archives and across the net (reduce band with used) When you are replying to a message when you can try to delete portions of the previous message that do not apply.  Ie:  I make a comment on biting and then I go off on a tangent about a dog I trained once.  You have a question about my comment on biting, simply delete the included tangent story and leave just the stuff on biting and send in your comment. Here is a real example of such since I don't delete my box... <smile>  See what Lori did here, she only commented on a part of my original posting offering her help with diet since that was the topic.

Lori wrote:
>>Well said, Gina! If anyone needs any support as they take the
plunge--we're here. It's not hard and the best thing is you know
exactly what your dog is eating!
Take care all, Lori<<

>>Gina wrote:
I do know that dogs that are healthy don't attract flea's as much, so if you find you are having a flea problem that is not from contact with an infestation (an infestation of flea's will get any dog) I suggest you look at your diet and asses overall health... In other words educate your self on raw feeding and take the plunge. <smile><<

In closing don't worry if you don't understand the above, I realize that many of you have had very little experience at List Group communication and etiquette.  These are not hard fast rules (as you know I have very few of those) <smile> ha ha ha... You will understand as the list grows and you become more familiar with the use of list groups.  Please do keep posting and I will try to keep and eye out and privately help you along if you want the help.  Please post me privately if you would like this direction/tutoring.

Gina