for new Brier members-biting

Hi All,

Some of you may want to read this just for a trip down memory lane but I am directing this to our new members who will soon be dealing with such issues as puppy  biting and counter surfing...  I was searching the archives this morning and this is about as far as I got.

The original topic was how do I control my puppy from biting me all the time.  A side topic was counter surfing: IE: stealing food and items off of your kitchen counters...  BTW, Ember does bite and she is an aspiring counter surfer ( my fault) so when you read do as I say not as I do take it to heart! <smile>

Gina

From IIene Cook:
Ok, I have the perfect solution. Pick him up!! Yes, just pick him up,and that's stops the biting. They outgrow this in a few weeks. This is just the biting time, and Rocket almost really took off for the moon when he bit my leg while I was cooking dinner tonight. It does hurt, and when it is a surprise, you got to really control that reaction!!! P.S. Don't pick him up and then put your hand near his mouth. Just hold them for awhile, and it draws their attention elsewhere. Ilene

From Deb Mc Fail:
One thing that's always worked well for us at this age are several, like about8, wet and then frozen wash clothes to give them when they're teething so hard.See if that helps the biting since Monza will be distracted with the cold frozen thing instead of living flesh (g)Debs

Hi Guys,

On biting: As IIene says picking them up is a good way to curtail this.  I
will add a bit though:  I pick them up and hold them tight and at the same
time I put my head over their back.  This is a dominate move on your part
and should get the message across.  They will squirm and might even squeal
but don't give in.  You know your not hurting them and this is just a
battle of wits.  If you can't pick them up at least gently lift their two
front feet off the ground by the scruff on the neck and growl NO at
them.  Drop kicking really is not very effective IIene, I taught them to
ignore this behavior at a young age. <snicker>  Also taught them to bite
hard.

Is any one starting to make their puppies sit for their meals yet?  If so
as well start putting your hands in their dish as well as taking it away a
couple of times to teach them they are not in control.  When you take food
from a dog always make sure you are face to face with them.  Never take
food away from behind them.  This is considered an attack and can lead to
food aggression.

Ok onto counter surfing.  I really need to get this into the go home
instructions.  I just remembered it today as Scout and Trix tried to
counter surf as I was fixing their food.  Do as I say not as I do...  These
two can make the second drawer on hind legs and third if they jump.  Before
too long they All will be to counter top level.  To detour interest in the
counters never leave food on them.  Never leave any thing on them.  Right
now everyone of you go out to your kitchens and make sure your counter tops
are completely clear and clean, not even a cracker crumb.  If this is not
possible just have the counters removed.  Soon you won't miss them...  Ok
back to reality... When fixing the dogs food don't let them
watch.  Seriously put them in their crate and take the meal to them if your
feeding in the crate.  If not and you feed in the kitchen don't let them
see where the food comes from.  The less they associate the counter tops
and the sink with food the better of you will be.

Ok, I am off for the night,

Gina

From Leigh Stoller:

We found with Acer that yelling ouch and saying NO, followed by sticking
his chicken Nylabone in his mouth, eventually worked. It took several
months before he was finally over the biting thing, but everything I've
read seems to indicate that this phase does continue for a while. They
*are* just babies after all.

Lbs