Re: [Testbed-admins] Questions of git for Emulab source code version control.

* Cheng Cui <ccui1@tigers.lsu.edu> [100318 13:08]:
> And I have tried to "git clone
> git-public.flux.utah.edu:/flux/git/emulab-stable.git" in my VM machine.
> It works. And I have already installed this version in my boss, and I
> get only two additional dependencies:

I'm actually *not* surprised that a clone works.  That part of Git has
been stable for a long time.  However, there have been a lot of other
significant changes to the git commands.  Nearly all current Git
documentation and online tutorials (and the git mailing list) assume
you're using a recent version, and you'll have problems trying to use
these instructions with 1.5.3.2 in some cases.

Remember, 1.5.3.2 is *not* recommended.  It was the just the version
in the FreeBSD ports collection at the time when we made our tarball.
We haven't tested it, and weren't even using Git for source control at
the time.  In fact, I doubt that whoever made the tarball of the ports
collection even knew that it was there.

None of us at Utah are using any version of Git older than
1.6.6.1, and the few of us that have used older versions in the past
probably don't want to worry about supporting them now (I know I
don't).

Even though it is not yet in the ports collection or on the Emulab
wiki, the official recommended version of Git (for now) will be
1.7.0.2, which is the most current stable release.

Building git from source is *very* straightforward, and only takes a
minute or so.  You should not even need to install any other packages
to fulfill dependencies now that you have fulfilled the ones for
git-1.5.3.2.  You should just be able to do './configure; gmake; gmake
install'.  Make sure to remove the 1.5.3.2 package first.