Re: [Testbed-admins] Questions of git for Emulab source code version control.

* Cheng Cui <ccui1@tigers.lsu.edu> [100318 12:30]:
> I checked the Emulab ports tree specified for emulab compatibility. It
> indeed shows git as git-1.5.3.2 as recommended. So I found related
> packages online and figured out that there is very little dependency for
> this version. Cheers!

Please do NOT use 1.5.3.2.  That's a very old version of git from Sep.
2007, nearly 2.5 years ago.  I don't think we actually *tested* that
version of git on emulab, since we certainly weren't using git in 2008
when that ports collection tarball was created.  In fact, I think it
was just included by default since that was the version in the ports
collection at the time.

Git has changed a *lot* since 1.5.3.2, and you'll just create more
problems for yourself if you try to use it.  I would strongly advise
compiling git from source if you don't want to try satisfying the
dependencies of the binary packages you have.

We'll update the ports collection eventually, but until then we'll add
some documentation about which git version to use on our wiki.