[Testbed-admins] Questions of git for Emulab source code version control.

Hello,

My plan is to update my local Emulab system from original 5.0 to the
latest 5.x stable.

I spent a few hours on git documentation. And I got my git account in
Utah. I want to install git in BOSS and OPS.

The problem is which version of git installation shall I use? I tried
the latest source code git1.7.0.2 from http://git-scm.com/ or just the
git-1.7.0.1.tbz package from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/devel/
but it looks both require some dependent libs that FreeBSD 6.3R does not
have currently. So this makes something sticky.

For example:
%pkg_add git.tbz
pkg_add: could not find package ca_root_nss-3.12.4 !
pkg_add: could not find package python26-2.6.4 !
pkg_add: could not find package perl-5.10.1 !
pkg_add: could not find package p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.01 !
pkg_add: could not find package p5-Error-0.17016 !
pkg_add: could not find package cvsps-2.1 !

If I remember right, there will be a strong dependency on the version of
perl or python for the emulab facilities, so it makes me hesitate to
upgrade any of those additional libs.

Is anyone familiar with this kind of issue and give me some suggestion?
Am I right?

Best Regards,

Cheng Cui
. Frey Computing Services Center . Baton Rouge, LA 70803