[Testbed-admins] TMCC exited with status 256! *** WARNING: Could not get bossinfo from tmcc!

All,
    We got pc1 to come up with Utah's GENERIC images using Fedora Core
8 and FreeBSD62 images.  The Fedora core image is giving us fits
trying to to get logged in (it didn't like our root password, set
through the shadow file editing per the instructions...)  the
FreeBSD62 image logs in fine.

in both Linux and FreeBSD we are getting problems with the node and/or
image finding boss.  The nodes look for boss on eth99 and since we
don't have an eth99 this obviously fails.

We have 4 issues/questions at this point (may all be interrelated):
1. What is TMCC?
2. Nodes can't find boss on bootup (the boot up sequence looks for
boss on eth99) how/where do we configure this?  is this supposed to
come over pxe?  is this a custom configuration step that we missed, or
was it left out of the docs?
3. Domain name is wrong: The nodes name is
"pc1.hwdown.emulab-ops.foo.net"  it should be
"pc1.hwdown.emulab-ops.emulab.naresky"
4. Our linux (FC8) root password isn't being saved, or is being
overwritten by something on the network during bootup... it is saved
if we boot without network support...

Here is some screen output during the FedoraCore8 bootup:

testbed config: gethostbyname(UNKNOWN) failed
TMCC exited with status 256!
*** WARNING: Could not get bossinfo from tmcc!
*** /usr/local/etc/emulab/rc/rc.bootsetup:
  Could not determine the name of the boss server!
Boot failure!
gethostbyname(UNKNWON) failed
TMCC exited with status 256!
Error sending boot errno to Emulab Control!
gethostbyname(UNKNOWN) failed
Error sending TBFAILED to Emulab Control!
Boot Complete

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)
Kernel 2.6.25.14-69.emulab1.fc8 on an i686

pc1.hwdown.emulab-ops.foo.net login:

Thanks,
--Ben

Ben Burnett
  R&D Software Engineer: wired, wireless, ad hoc, mesh networking,
    network monitoring and data visualization
  ATC (Architecture Technology Corporation)   http://www.atcorp.com/
  bburnett@atcorp.com                         (952) 829-5864 x167
  --------Views expressed are mine and not those of ATC--------
  Personal: