[Testbed-admins] Questions for emulab upgrade

Hello Emulab,

We are still in the midst of our migration from 4.104 to version 5 and would like to ask for some more help.

We have already moved version 4.104’s DB to new server with version 5.0 in boss, and then we are going through the steps in database-migrate.txt and wanted some advice or clarification:

1. We need to make sure one thing, is it only need to run process after section 4.104?

2. After section 4.104, there are some files need to run (step3_newids.pl, step4_newids.pl, step5_newids.pl, resources.pl, nodeutil.pl, nsfiles.pl, logfiles,pl, newlans.pl, emulab_pubs.sql), which version (current 4.104 or upgrade 5.0) of files(perl & sql) should we be using since they are different ?

3. We want to upgrade our system without affecting to current user’s operation as far as possible, is it possible to build the database of the BOSS machine "offline", ie. not connected to any other components like switches, ops or hosts ?

4. We also found some differences between our 4.104 database and the 5.0 database that do not seem to be documented. That’s maybe we missed it.
# Column temp_boot_osid in table nodes has changed

ALTER TABLE nodes MODIFY temp_boot_osid int(8) unsigned default NULL;

# Column osid in table nodes has changed

ALTER TABLE nodes MODIFY osid int(8) unsigned default NULL;

# Column nextosid in table osid_map has changed

ALTER TABLE osid_map MODIFY nextosid int(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0';

# Column osid in table osid_map has changed

ALTER TABLE osid_map MODIFY osid int(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0';

# Column osid in table partitions has changed

ALTER TABLE partitions MODIFY osid int(8) unsigned default NULL;

# Column imageid in table partitions has changed

ALTER TABLE partitions MODIFY imageid int(8) unsigned default NULL;

# Column uid_uuid was added to table user_stats

ALTER TABLE user_stats ADD COLUMN uid_uuid varchar(40) NOT NULL default '' AFTER uid_idx;

# Key KEY (uid_uuid) was added to table user_stats

ALTER TABLE user_stats ADD INDEX KEY (uid_uuid);

Comment:

for section 4.40 in database-migrate.txt,

 CREATE TABLE errors (
    session int(1) unsigned NOT NULL default '0'
    .
    .
    .

we noticed that current versions of this declare

       session int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0'

instead

Thanks, Miss. Chang