Re: [creduce-dev] Thanks letter

John,

Looks like there is a demand for the tutorial "how to write your own C-Reduce pass"!

Dmitry.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 6:50 PM John Regehr <regehr@cs.utah.edu> wrote:
Hi Tony!

> (1) We could add a option to let the user set how long the program is
> expected to run at most, once that time passed, creduce can kill the
> process and treat it as one failed reduce and just continue try
> something else. The reason we need this is that sometimes after reducing
> the program goes into infinite loop, and creduce never ends, I have to
> kill it and rewrite the script and kill the running step after certain
> amount of time (using time out) to tell creduce this is a failed
> reducing. This is something we can include into the tool, so as to make
> the user write simpler invoke script.

This option exists, it is called "--timeout". Please see the output of
"creduce --help".

> (2) Another thing is more general. According to my experience, this tool
> doesn't do every well when the source code has templates in it. I know
> it is called 'C' reduce, not for C++, but since it can be used for
> reducing C++ as well. We might try to do some improvement in C++
> templates handling to make the tools even better.

Yes, we have already put quite a bit of work into this, but much work
remains. We don't have much time for this work these days, but would
welcome patches that make C-Reduce better at eliminating template codes.

John