[creduce-dev] Thanks letter

Respected creduce dev list member,

I am one of the enthusiastic fun of the creduce tool. The main reason is that it helps reduced the test cases automatically, since I am a compiler developer the test cases which used to reproduce the compiler bug usually very large, sometimes it goes up to millions of lines after pre-processing, usually creduce works well if you give it good script for the interestingness. I would take this opportunity to say sincerely thank you for the awesome work done, it really means a lot to me and  makes us my life much easier.

As for future improvement for this tool, I have two suggestions from the users point of view.
(1) We could add a option to let the user set how long the program is expected to run at most, once that time passed, creduce can kill the process and treat it as one failed reduce and just continue try something else. The reason we need this is that sometimes after reducing the program goes into infinite loop, and creduce never ends, I have to kill it and rewrite the script and kill the running step after certain amount of time (using time out) to tell creduce this is a failed reducing. This is something we can include into the tool, so as to make the user write simpler invoke script.
(2) Another thing is more general. According to my experience, this tool doesn't do every well when the source code has templates in it. I know it is called 'C' reduce, not for C++, but since it can be used for reducing C++ as well. We might try to do some improvement in C++ templates handling to make the tools even better.

Thanks you so much again for the superb contribution to the community. Hope this tool becomes better and better and help more users in the future.

Best Regards,

Tony Jiang

Toronto, Canada

Jan 21 2019