Frontline,Advantage & Cap Star

HI All,

As promised I talked to Dr. Doug about flea control and he tells me that he
is seeing that both Advantage and Frontline are starting to have some
failure.  The fleas are building an immunity, and applications are not
lasting as long.  2 to 3 weeks for Advantage and Frontline, not much
better.  The protocol he likes is to use Program or Sentinel and Capstar if
needed on an as need basis.  Here are links that will tell you more about
each product:

Capstar: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1463&articleid=1448
Capstar is like a flea dip in a pill, no residual affect.  Available only
though a Veterinarian.

Program: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&articleid=1471
Program does not kill fleas it sterilizes them so they can not reproduce,
"birth control for fleas".  They can still bite and for dogs that have flea
allergy this can be a concern.   Available only though a Veterinarian.

Sentinel: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&articleid=1443
Sentinel is heart worm protection with added Program, flea birth
control.  Available only though a Veterinarian and dogs over 6 months of
age must be heart worm tested before they are put on this product.

Ingredients in flea products and safety concerns:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1623&articleid=598

In a nut shell, protocol calls for treating each dog monthly with Sentinel,
which is heart worm protection with flea control added in the form of
Program, chemical name for Program: Lufenuron.  If you find a flea between
doses use Capstar for a fast kill.  Basically what Capstar does is it acts
like a flea bath or dip, but it is a pill.  It has no residual affect only
kills what is on the animal at the time.  Doug said weekly use would be
safe but I can't imagine that anyone would need to use a weekly dosing if
they are treating all their animals and does not have an infestation in the
environment.

Which brings up cats, cats who go out and roam are more likely to be
carriers/hosts for transport so keeping the cats flea free is as well a
must, house cats too. For cats, you should be able to use Program brand
drops or pills (pills if your brave) drops if you are not.  While on cats,
I am not your best resource I did turn up this info as a side note, cats
can get heart worms too and you might want to read these articles on that:

http://www.peteducation.com/search_action.cfm?cls=1

Here is some important information on the over the counter drops, marketed
under names such as Biospot etc, found in many supply stores:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1463&articleid=1475

  I personally do not recommend this or similar products as they are
nothing more than old products we use to use in grooming shops made into a
concentrated formula that does not spread it's self like Frontline which
goes systemic and Advantage that does not go systemic but is formulated to
spread though the hair follicles.  All Biospot does is stay in a pool in
the area it's applied.  It is also very highly toxic to cats.  A cat that
rubs up against a dog that has just been treated can literally die and I
have herd reports of this happening.  In years gone by when I use to dip
animals using the "top quality" dips it was not uncommon to find live fleas
on the final brush out as the dog left the shop, so with that too straight
from the groomer what do you think of dip products?  I don't think much of
them.

Here is another good link for general information on flea stuff:

http://www.peteducation.com/search_action.cfm?cls=1

So there you have a good start let me know what you all come up with.  Here
we are not having flea problems, might have a flea or two now and again but
no infestations, and we are still using Frontline.

Best Gina