spaying

This is a Gina question, but thought with all the girls in the last litter - others might have this question....  I was thinking about getting Katie spayed right before Thanksgiving so I could have some days at home with her.  Gina - did you recommend waiting longer?  What are the advantages to the dog of waiting?  I looked in THE BOOK but couldn't find any info.
BTW it was great seeing Ditto and Lucy in the ring - they looked gorgeous!  It was also fun to see some rare breeds - there were some bizarre looking dogs there.  In my eyes nothing competes with the beauty of a golden :-)
Peggy