Continuing education

Good Morning Everyone,

On a list I belong to I found this post and wanted to share with all of you
my reply.  Yes this is a continuation of my nagging on clearances...

Message: 12 From the list:
Subject: Re: Re:Contracts

  >> Here's one for you -- my brother got a golden retriever pup for his 12
year old son.  Turned out, the pup had dysplasia.  The breeder said to
return the pup -- and that she/he would have it put down and refund the
money or give another pup.

By this point, the pup was a family pet (that takes about 3 minutes).

So my brother kept the dog to protect it from the responsible breeder
willing to take it back.<<

My reply:

I caught this single post and wanted to comment.  This is what I think is
wrong with a lot of contracts. None of us can guarantee a dog will be
totally healthy (any breed) and  warrantees should not reflect absolutes in
my opinion.  Sure I have a contract but I do not spell out a warrantee
rather I state and stand behind this:  If you have a problem with a Brier
dog contact me and together let's see what is right for the dog and
everyone concerned.  This statement however gray anyone feels it is, works
in every ones best interests in it'a application here with my dogs and my
people.  No walls are put up about how the dog is managed, no walls are put
up about what I will consider as a justifiable reason to refund or
replace.  Instead this keeps the relationship open from both
ends.  Everyone has their own idea of what is reasonable and with that as a
breeder I feel educating and supporting  homes on management is more
important that any warrantee.  Sure this is more time consuming and some
might even say it's a control issue but that in it's self is how it's
presented and or perceived.

Everyone who has a dog from me is treated as family, I respect them and in
turn they respect me as their mentor.  I have had to deal with some issues
with dogs not being sound not many but a few.  In each case I believe that
everyone has walked away satisfied, educated, content, and what do I base
this comment on?  The fact that we still maintain a relationship.

Secondly,

With regard to HD, while I agree obviously that the breeder noted above
should not force opinion on the owner of the dog I hope that the owner is
doing something for the dog.  Meaning, depending on the severity of the
dysplasia, looking into appropriate medical treatments whether that be
surgery or medical management?  Diet and exercise programs to aide the
dog?   It's my opinion that if HD is so severe that it affects the quality
of the dogs life hard choices to need to be made.  I am not suggesting any
dog be put down due to HD or passing any judgements here on what is
affordable option wise, but just suggesting further education might be in
every ones best interest with any dog diagnosed with HD or any affliction
that management of some kind can help provide comfort for the
dog.  Personally to aide this concept here is what I have done:

I have a list serve open to anyone who has a dog from me and we openly
discuss issues.  For instance I ask that any one who buys a dog from me pet
or other wise, does clearances, and here is why:  First anyone living with
a Golden Retriever needs to know what makes the dog tick [sound or
unsound]  Why?  Because I maintain an ounce of prevention is wise.  So just
a pet?  Are you ever going to run this pet hard?  I hope you are because
this pet is a sporting dog and he needs to be run hard to keep him happy.
[I guess you need to know, I breed Golden Retrievers.]   What if the pet
has a problem?  Don't you want to know at the earliest possible moment so
you can apply the ounce of prevention?  Have yet heard any attempt at an
argument against this...  Have had people not respond and probably go buy a
dog else where but no arguments.

Secondly, when you choose to bring a dog into your home, regardless of the
breed, you become an ambassador to that breed a working steward to the
breed and with that comes responsibility beyond food water shelter and
hugs, in my opinion.  Third, I benefit from this or rather the breed does,
knowledge is empowering, and if we all of us pull together and empower
those doing the breedings we all win. An example of this is:

Recently I ran a CERF eye clinic at my home and some of my pet homes
submitted their dogs for screening at this clinic.  We found our very first
posterior cataracts in one dog that has 19 siblings.  I did this breeding
twice hence 20 puppies...  Now I have contacted Vet Gem and the pedigree is
being looked at to be entered into a study of cataracts.  What the breed
can gain from these 20 puppies and their pedigree is important to all
canines.  If just one DNA marker is identified from this family of dogs
that is one marker known that would other wise not be known.  Sure coming
up with DNA tests is a long process and some times like with the PRA DNA
test for the Labrador there have been issues that have necessitated looking
back at the tests and assessing if applications were set properly and of if
the test it self was is faulty but its still a move forward, a scientific
move forward.

So anyway all of this is intended to be general and offered as a proactive,

Gina
Brier Goldens
www.briergoldens.com
mailto:gina@briergoldens.com