For everyone from GH

Hi All,

I wanted to pass on a note on an issue that could directly affect some of
you, some more than others but in any case important even if you do not
board your dogs with us here as this should apply to anyone who might ever
ask some one else to care for their dog.

Feeding:  As you all know and I have said time and time again please do not
free feed your dogs.  Free feeding is defined as scooping it up and setting
it down and allowing your dog to eat at will when ever he chooses.  I have
maintained that free feeding can lead to obesity which we all know is not
healthy for anyone.  <onk onk> :-)

Also another reason to not free feed even if you measure out only a days
rations is that this creates the habit of snacking and should you ever need
to board your dog in most situations like here at Brier this is not an easy
thing to accommodate and here simply can not be accommodated.  Here is why,
in any kennel/home including our home and kennel where there are often
multi dogs:  If food is left down for 1 dog who is use to this method of
feeding it causes excitement in the kennel runs next to that dog who as
well has to be left by himself.    Fights can break out simply over the
excitement of others trying to get to the food or one morsel of spilled
food for that matter.  It is impossible for me to have these kinds of
situations here.  It is as well not healthy or fun for the free fed dog to
be isolated...

I have right now a dog not from my breeding program staying with us who has
been fed this way AGAINST his breeders advise, I know his breeder very
well, and know instructions on how to feed were discussed.  This dog has
been here six days and besides the fact that he is excited because he is 10
months old, intact and we have girls in season in the house [ intact guest
is in the kennel] he has refused food for a good part of his stay so far
and has spent more time spilling his food than eating it, which  has
created excitement in the kennel.   I will have to ask his owner to either
correct this or the dog is not welcome to stay here in the future.  He is
sweet adorable loving and gets along with everyone but never the less I
have to keep him separated from the others a good part of the time just so
maybe he will eat...  I simply am not equipped to provide this level of care.

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to fall!   Winter at Brier should
be exciting as Scarlette has been bred to Rolex and puppies are due
December 15th.

Best,

Gina