Anoter reason to ck eyes!!! Uveitis

Hi All,

As some of you may know Kaycee has been battling a fairly severe corneal
abrasion.  I am happy to report today that she has been cleared deemed
healed by the Ophthalmologist.  However today I asked Dr. Paul Scherlie
about a disorder I had been reading and hearing a bit about recently called
Uveitis.  There are many kinds of this disease but unfortunately today I
was made aware that one form of Uveitis is without a doubt a heritable
issue affecting only one breed, yes ours, the Golden Retriever.  Paul
talked to me a bit about this disease and gave me an article on it.   This
is my re type of the Abstract, please excuse typo's many of these words are
sort of out there for me. :-)

Objective:  To Document the presenting ocular signs and the clinical course
of Golden Retrievers with a progressive Anterior uveitis, often associated
with the histologic presence of iridociliary cysts.

Animals studied: 75 Golden Retrievers [142 affected eyes] referred to a
private practice referral ophthalmology clinic between 1994 and 1999.

Procedures:  Complete ophthalmic evaluation with slit-lamp biomicroscopy,
indirect ophthalmoscop, applanation tonometry, and gonioscopy.  Hematology,
serum biochemiccal evaluations, and serologic titers for endemic infectious
agents were also used in selected cases.

Results:  The age range of affected dogs was 4.5-14.5 years, with a mean
age of 8.6 = or - 2.1 years.  The majority of the dogs [n=66] were affected
in both eyes at first presentation.  The sex distribution included 4 intact
males, 32 neutered males, and 39 spayed females.   Hematology, serum
biochemical evaluations, and serologic titers for endemic infectious agents
failed to demonstrate any underlaying disorder.  The ophthalmic hallmark of
this syndrome was the appearance of pigment on the anterior lens capsule,
often in a radial orientation.  This capsular pigment was seen both with
and without associated uveal cysts.  Although single to multiple
iridociliary cysts were noted clinical in only 13.3% of these cases, cysts
were common on histopathology of advanced glaucomatous, blind eyes.  Fibrin
was observed in the anterior chamber of 37% of the cases, and often was a
precursor for glaucoma. Cataract formation [37%] and glaucoma [46%] were
frequent sequelae to the uveitis.  Posterior synechiae formation occurred
in 50% of the cases.  Histopathologic analysis of four enucleated eyes and
the eviscerated specimens from 14 glaucomatous eyes demonstrated
thin-walled iridociliary epithelial cysts in 3/4 and 12/14 cases,
respectively.   Microscopically, little to no uveal inflammatory
infiltration was commonly noted.

Conclusion:  The overall prognosis for this progressive uveitis in Golden
Retrievers is guarded with 46% of the eyes becoming blind due to
glaucoma.  Iridociliary cysts in Golden Retrievers may lead to the
development of glaucoma in this breed.  The publication this came from is:
Veterinary Ophthalmology 2000.

Ok so what does all this mean?  Lots of big words many of them I do not
understand so basically Paul told me that red eyes inflamed eyes are
suspect of uveitis and that most general practitioners would miss diagnose
this condition simply because it is not common but it's in our breed and at
this point in time only our breed.  This disease is very painful and
extreamly expensive to treat and success rates of reversal if left
undiagnosed, not caught early, very early, are very low.  He also said just
this year in the PNW he has seen 12 cases of uveitis and he is concerned
for our breed.  He did also tell me he has been contacted by the GRCA for
information on this and what would be involved in putting together a DNA
screening.  I am going to assume that the GRCA is perusing this but will as
well contact some individuals I know who from the human end of things might
be more able to help us develop a DNA test.  Until then it's going to be of
the upmost importance that each of us keeps a close check on the eyes of
our dogs.  Breeding dogs or not.

What is the risk to your Brier dogs?  I do not know.  I have never had a
reported case of uveitis.  But please make sure you heed this information
and by all means if you suspect an issue with your dog please convey this
information to your vet and seek appropriate medical attention ASAP and
please also contact me.  I will have available copies of the entire article
for those interested at the eye clinic on September 30.

Hope to see many of you next Sunday!

Gina