Re: Bad Cats

I also have two cats and a 2 yr. old golden "T.J." from Gina.  I started out with slow introductions and let my cats sniff the dog and see him & then I put them out.  They got a bit nasty with T.J. when he got too aggressive with them, but, golden puppies grow fast and will soon out weigh those cats & it won't take long before they learn to respect each other.  We still have moments where T.J. will want to play with them and accidentally steps on one of them and they will hiss and then hightail it.  But, they will learn how to get along eventually & also learn they are no match for the size/weight of the "big" dog.

Good luck and don't worry too much - it will all work out in time, but - don't expect it to happen overnight.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 9:09 AM
Subject: Bad Cats

So have I talked about my bad cats yet... I've been somewhat concerned about my cats and the puppy.  The cats are sort of weird - I thought cats avoided strange dogs. But not these two. They see a dog come into the yard and if inside they go out and stalk the dog (or in one case it was a group of 5 dogs(with owners).  Anyway they hunch up, put ears back and advance.  I'm not sure they would actually attack - I intervene in some way.  I thought the cats were getting better....but last night we had a stray dog show up at our house.  Cats came out and one actually started to chase the dog.  Smart dog - it ran off.  Dog hung around for quite a while and I got so nervous I finally got the cats inside and locked their cat door.  So anyway my fears got activated again. One cat when he gets scared can be real nasty - my vet calls him psycho-cat and won't touch him until he's knocked out.  The cat is fine in the house, and both cats grew up with dogs, and never a problem there.  I know not to leave pup alone with cats, but how do I introduce them and get them used to each other?   Am I crazy to even try?  Please help...
Peggy - very nervous expectant mother  - if you haven't figured it out yet or if Gina hasn't given me away - I can get a bit neurotic....