Re: Bad Cats

Hi Peggy,

I hope I can help in some way.  I do not have cats, but I do have a male
Cairn Terrier (Roscoe) age 5.  Now don't laugh!  <grin>  Roscoe acts very
much like a cat at times.  Cairns are very independent dogs ... (boy is that
an understatement right Gina?!)  We just got a Golden puppy (age 9 weeks)
and have been working diligently at getting these two very different breeds
together.  We have had Goldens in the past, so we're pretty familiar with
this.  I would introduce the cats very slowly to the new puppy and under
supervision if you are afraid they will hurt the puppy.  We have the reverse
situation here, we are afraid the puppy will hurt Roscoe.

Dollar, the puppy, has been here 2 weeks and we started out very slowly with
their interaction -- in the beginning keeping Dollar away from Roscoe until
we were sure that Roscoe would start standing up to her and until he started
warming up to the idea of another dog being around again.  Roscoe is not
dominant by nature so this was extremely important so that he will not be
intimidated when she gets bigger.

You will probably need to supervise the interaction very strictly in the
beginning, letting the cats get to know the pup slowly by sniffing her,
watching, etc. perhaps while you are right there holding them back if you
think they'll pounce.  If anything gets out of hand and you think the pup
will be in danger, you will need to step in for the pups sake until she gets
older.

Don't worry too much, Goldens can definitely hold their own with cats once
they mature, and I know lots of Golden owners with cats and they get along
famously.  I'm sure there are others out there with cats that can shed a lot
more light on this situation, but I hope this helps.

Joan Koptis
Rancho Mirage, CA