from GDC

Hi All,

Just got this [below] from GDC and thought I would share it with all of you.  I will keep you in the loop too on what I discuss with Dr. Poulos when I hear from him.  If you are wondering who the GDC is please visit their web site at:

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/gdc/gdc.htm

But in short the GDC is more than just a registry they have several studies in place that dog breeds/ers can benefit from and have been around for a long time.  I use to use GDC for all of my prelims and then the OFA for my finals only because OFA has been more largely recognized as the standard and every place you look/read the OFA is thought of as the supreme "authority".  However for running small studies on specific kennels I think the GDC's program could benefit us better.  We shall see what they can offer us anyway. On to their letter:

Hello, Gina:
[cc: Dr. Paul W. Poulos, Jr.]

Congratulations on your decision to follow your litters so closely! If half
of the breeders in the purebred community could follow your example, we
could reduce genetic disease dramatically in just a few generations.
I've copied Dr. Paul Poulos, GDC director, on this email, since he is the
person you need to speak with.

Please feel free to email him directly if you wish, but I would expect him
to get back to you in a few days to offer GDC's support for your project.
Dr. Paul W. Poulos, Jr.
pwpatpvi@jps.net

By the way, are you on the GDC email Newnote list? If you received an email
in the past three weeks, you are on the list. If not, may I add you?

Thanks!

George Packard
GDC Information Services
georgepackard@conknet.com