Problems with digging just starting

So the time has begun, the rebellious teen age years.  Hunter has had a grand time in the flower beds in the last two days.  Eaten my 20 year old lace leaf maple almost to the ground, a very nice coral bark maple has also met its maker.  He seems to know which plants are poisionus because he does not touch them.  He digs holes and only in the nice flower beds not in the numerous bad ones.  Is there a way to convince him to not do the plant chewing?

  I tried an old trick with the holes and put poop in the hole.  He saw me filling his hole in and took that as a challange to uncover the treasure that I had put in there, he was grossed out to say the very least and did not attempt to uncover the hole, and has stayed out of the flower bed since.  I am prepared to deal with the plant loss, but should he have full range of the trees around here, I don't think so.  He has plenty to do, lots of sticks from the big trees that have dropped in the wind storms, then the deck, picnic table and play structure that he has put his mark on.  I guess he is bored, no hunting expeditions for a while.  Is there a spray to keep him out?  We don't think the sprinkler thing will keep him out.  He will just stand there and love the shower from it or appriciate the drink of water because it is hard work eating every expensive tree in the yard and leaving the junk ones.

Just a little frustrated with my teen-age son!!!<smile>
Carol