Re: [Testbed-admins] orderly shutdown procedure for a testbed

Heh.  No problem, since the answer is "both", in that we are running
multiple testbeds, of which at least one is emulab-stable and at
least one is emulab-devel.

Okay, here is generic approach; I have an uncommitted script for
emulab-devel that will do this for you, but I need to clean that up
before adding it.

On boss, you want to turn off web interface logins:

boss> webcontrol -m "Testbed taking a snooze" -l nologin

This will lock out the web interface and prevent daemons from running
their next loops. No new swaps will start.

Now you want to wait for things to quiet down (wait for swaps in
progress to finish). This is where my script comes in handy, but
in the meantime you can just look at the DB:

mysql> select pid,eid,state,expt_locked from experiments
mysql>   where expt_locked is not null;

When there are no experiments in transition, then it is safe
to power down.

When it is time to power things back up, you just need to wait for
things to come back up, and then on boss:

boss> webcontrol -m '' -l login

Lbs