[Testbed-admins] Emulab Rebuild Problems

I'm working on re-building our small emulab with new hardware here at Architecture Technology in Minnesota and I'm having some trouble.

The first big problem I think I have solved: We are using Cisco 2948 switches for the experimental network. I figured the type field in the node_types and nodes tables should be 'cisco2948'. Wrong. The 2948 is actually in the 4000 class of Catalyst switches! The difference appears to be that it uses "community string indexing" for some of its MIBs. (Described here: ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/wsc4000/wsc4000-communityIndexing.html).

So -- note for posterity: For the Cisco 2948 switch, set its type value to 'cisco4000' in the type fields of the node_types and nodes tables.

Now the new problem I'm up against:

We PXE boot our testbed machines and they load the freebsd.newnode and appear in the "New Testbed Nodes" page of the web interface. We "Search switch ports for selected nodes". Our 5 experimental interfaces are properly discovered but the control interface isn't. I figure this shouldn't be a big problem(?) -- we enter this manually.

When we try to actually "Create" the node the operation appears to succeed:

-----
/usr/testbed/www
pc20 succesfully added!
Re-generating dhcpd.conf
Restarting dhcpd: /usr/local/bin/sudo -S /usr/local/etc/rc.d/2.dhcpd.sh stop
Restarting dhcpd: /usr/local/bin/sudo -S /usr/local/etc/rc.d/2.dhcpd.sh start
 dhcpd wrapperSetting up nameserver
Running exports_setup
Rebooting nodes...
Rebooting 192.168.10.109

Finished - when you are satisifed that the nodes are working
correctly, use nfree on boss to free them from the emulab-ops/hwdown
experiment.
-----

BUT, the node never reboots. It just sits there at the login prompt of the freebsd.newnode boot image. It never "reports in" to the hwdown experiment (although we can see that there is now a machine in the hwdown experiment, the idle time just keeps going up). No entry for the machine actually gets placed into the re-generated dhcpd.conf file either -- I presume that one should. If we reboot manually we go right back to the newnode image.

An ideas/suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem?