Re: [Testbed-admins] source code modification for cisco switches

Thus spake Mohammed Azad on Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 09:07:24PM -0600:
> Hello All,
> Greetings. I am working on high speed emulab testbed setup at LSU.It will be
> great if any body kindly shares his/her experience in the following issue:
>
> I was pondering to change some source codes for cisco switches. I found that
> in the source code module snmpit_cisco.pm and snmpit_cisco_stack.pm it is
> said that the codes are for Cisco Catalyst 6509 switches. It will be great
> to know which parts of the codes are specific for 6509 switches. It will
> help me to formulate module for  general cisco switches.Because ours' is
> cisco Nexus 5000 series switch.

That code actually supports a number of different Cisco switches,
including the 6500, 4000, 4500, 2900, 5500, and 3500 series. The best
way to find code that is specific to certain product lines and/or OS
classes (IOS vs. CatOS) is to look for usage of '$self->{SWITCHCLASS}'
and '$self->{OSTYPE}'. My understanding is that the Nexus series is
sufficiently different than the regular Cisco product line (it runs its
own new OS, correct?) that the changes needed to support it are going to
be substantial.

You shouldn't need to touch the stack module at all - in fact, we now
recommend that people use the vendor-independent stack module,
snmpit_stack.pm. As long as your modified switch module for the Nexus
switch exports the same API as snmpit_cisco.pm, you should not need to
touch the stack module at all.