Re: [Testbed-admins] Problem with Intel quad-port NIC drivers and images.

* Jeff Green <jgreen@gmail.com> [090601 08:51]:
> On the FC6 side, we've compiled basically every variant of driver
> available from Intel (e1000, e1000e, and igb-1.3.19), with no luck.

As far as I can tell the correct driver for this controller is igb.
Neither of the other two will recognize its PCI device ID (0x10d6).

> e1000e: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
> FATAL: Error inserting e1000e
> (/lib/modules/2.6.20.6emulab/kernel/drivers/net/e1000e/e1000e.ko):
> Invalid module format

> We've pulled kernel-devel that matches the kernel and kernel-headers,
> but still no dice.

Strange. If the module's being built properly you shouldn't get that
message, so something isn't right.  If you got the official
kernel-devel and kernel-headers packages from Fedora, that may explain
things.  I don't know if we ever built -devel and -headers packages
for our build of that kernel.

We have a patched kernel source tarball that you could use to build
the devel and headers packages for that version.  Alternatively, we
have a newer kernel based on Fedora's 2.6.22 kernel that *has* been
built and packaged properly.  I can get you either of these if you
need/want them.