Re: [Testbed-admins] Problems with upgrade to 5.0 from 20070207 release

Thus spake Testbed@TWISC on Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 05:23:06PM +0800:
> Our testbed is running version 070207, and I want to upgrade to 5.0. Do you
> have any suggest what ways that we can do it?

Our documentation on the web includes some instructions for updating
from earlier snapshots:
    https://users.emulab.net/trac/emulab/wiki/install/update-testbed.html

> Important items?G

If you are going to do a fresh install, I would definitely *not* delete
anything from the drives from the old boss and ops until you are sure
that everything is working on the new ones.

> 1. user account transfer

This one will be a lot of work. There are a number of database tables
that information about users is stored in, including "users",
"user_pubkeys", "user_policies", "user_sfskeys", "user_stats",
"projects", "groups", "group_membership", and I'm sure I'm forgetting
some. You will also need to re-create the users in the /etc/passwd and
/etc/master.password, and copy over their files (item #2).

> 2. user file transfer(include file permissions)

This should be fairly simple - all user file should be in /proj/,
/users/, or /groups/, so a simple backup and restore, recursive copy,
etc. of these directories should be enough.

> 3. dns configure (forward and reverse)

This one should also be easy - the DNS configuration files are mostly
generated from the database, so once you have added nodes to the new
database, it should be easy to re-generate these files by running
"named_setup" on boss. You will want to make sure you keep the
"named.conf" file and the ".head" files from the /etc/namedb/ directory,
as these contain the basic information about the name of your DNS zone,
etc.

> 4. Firewall DB

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by this one.

--